585,660 active members*
3,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lead Screw Lubricant

well, I'm at the point where I'm looking for a good lead screw lube (wow, doesn't that sentence open itself up to comments on many levels).

I'm using ACME 1/2-10 single start right now, that may change to 2 start sometime soon. I was noticing some binding in the x-axis, but I think most of that was misalignment which is now corrected. The machine is a "Joe machine". I'm looking for something that isn't to wet so it won't drip all over the work. Jay, another Joe Machine owner suggested dry teflon spray as a lube. My machine is housed in the basement which is dry (no leaks or standing water) but tends to get a bit humid during the summer. So I may need something with some amount of an oil or grease component to it to keep the screw from rusting (actually with all the tools in the basement nothing else is rusting, so I don't know if I even have to worry about the screw).

One thought that occured to me is a monthly squirt of WD40 with daily squirts of the teflon lube (or at least a squirt at the time the machine is run).

Another thought is the ACME lead screw grease (never used it, never actually seen it, but I have run across it is catalogs. For all I know this stuff might just be Sears lithium grease that they repackage.)

As always, coments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Sorry i did not see this post before.

I use the white lithium grease on mine and i have been using the machine for over a year now without any problems.

Joe

Dry Lube

I was thinking of giving this a try. Machinists here at the Navy use it. It's a bit costly but may well be worth it. http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/