585,676 active members*
5,752 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > sequential cycle rotary engine (SCRE)

sequential cycle rotary engine (SCRE)

Hi All,
    The image shows an internal combustion engine that can function in many modes. Do you guys know of anybody that would be interested in building a prototype to test it's potential.

Dale. K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3dengine E.bmp  

That looks really interesting, but by "prototyping" do you mean in full scale? It would be a bit too much of a pain in the ass to do the forced induction on a smaller scale model I would think.
    What is in it internally, do you have a cutaway view? If it is rotary what do you think the tip seals could be made from that would hold up - that we could get hold of or be capable to machine? Especially with forced induction.
    I am VERY glad to see an interesting topic to discuss as opposed to the water engine crap. That much stupid was making my brain hurt. This however, looks like fun!

Hi Stepper Monkey,
    I have an animation of this engine which was made a few years ago but I can send you a cutaway view.
    The seals in this engine are similar to wankel but side seals are different.
    The forced induction is for show really. This engine would be multi rotor with all rotors running independently of each other. The rotors are concentric and the only thing that touches the housing are the seals.
    Regards Dale

what do you mean by function in many modes?

interesting none the less

Make it a group project. Everybody make one part and send them in to be assembled.

I don't have any CNC machines yet, but would be willing to make some of the less complicated parts.

This engine can be a single rotor with half of the rotor running on petrol and the other half on high pressure steam generated from the exhaust system or one half of the rotor on petrol and the other half on ethanol etc. With a multi rotor engine one rotor is fixed to the output shaft but the other rotors run as independant of the output shaft and they only run on demand. In standby mode these rotors can idle or be stopped. They will start automatically.

I Guess I Would Have To See The Inside

What Makes The Idle Rotors Start A Govenor Or Electrical?
    Will These Start On Load Or Manualy Actuated?

Hi Wariel,
    The rotors other than the one fixed to the shaft have overrun clutches fitted which allows the rotor to run freely. Along side of this clutch a synchro type system can be fitted. The rotors can be started with combustion pressure from the fixed rotor with valve control or the synchro type dog clutch can lock the rotor to the shaft with oil pressure etc. All rotors can be fixed to the shaft if needed for it is only an option for economy.
    The image shows the basic internal details which will give you some idea on how it works.
    Regards Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3dengine exploded1.jpg  

By Rotor Are You Talking The Yellow Cams Or The Hole Thing Set Up In A Row Of Like 2 Or 4 Or However Many That Would Be Required.

I Love The Way This Is Designed.

Could You Use Centrifical Force To Hold Your Wipers Out? This Would Simplify Things A Bit.

Hi Wariel,
    The yellow gears have crank pins fitted to one end that have links that control the blades.
    These links stop the blades from touching the rotor. To use centrifugal force to hold the blades out would cause too much friction. At 2000rpm each blade would weigh 140kg. At 2000rpm this engine has 666 ignitions per second so the internals would be very busy.
    Regards Dale