585,556 active members*
3,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > 16MB control. Understanding available options. Fanuc is no help....

16MB control. Understanding available options. Fanuc is no help....

Heyfanuc gurus! So we are sort of considering buying an older machine as a tie over. Has a 16mb control. Problem is we need to run some more HSM type tool paths and just want understand the ability of the control, how it is configured now, how that will perform for us, and if there are available upgrades. I have a complete spec sheet for the 16 controllers that shows all the available options and such, but does not describe them in detail at all.

The MTB is zero help in this arena but I know they order these controls with several of the "options" from fanuc, even if they sell them with the machine as "standard".

Basically trying to understand how fast the control can digest code (block speed), and if there are any look ahead options either on the control now or available.

Fanuc wants my list of 9k params. and then I have to ask them which option I want checked. Uh, I would really like a FULL list of every thing on it that is not standard! I really would love to have a book that highlights the bits so I could look up each option, but I realize that some people all sensitive about the 9K params. I know some of this stuff you need to have certain software/hardware to even use it. Obviously we can't just flip all the switches. I just want to know.

For instance, there is "automatic corner decel". It sounds sort of like something that could be handy, but maybe the MTB put it all on the machine, but I don't even know what it really does.

Anyone here sharp on these old controls that could shed some light on their ability running modern tool paths? We don't need to machine at 1000ipm around a 1" block, just had some older controls that would damage parts as low as 80ipm. No look ahead whatsoever.

Re: 16MB control. Understanding available options. Fanuc is no help....

contact me at 289 389 6117 EST.
    Bill

you can always type in the G code in mdi that you are interested to know if you have, if the control accepts it and the G code goes modal then you have it, otherwise a programming alarm will occur.

Many options don't involve G-codes.