584,829 active members*
5,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Rhinocam > rhinocam 5 axis (H/H) postprocessor not acounting for Gauge & Tool length

rhinocam 5 axis (H/H) postprocessor not acounting for Gauge & Tool length

Ill try to keep it simple

Software : Rhinocam 2017

Machine : 5 axis (aggregate head) CNC router,

Job : Simple 200mm dia cylinder , 300mm high

Post processor : MACH3 MM

Problem statement : "Surface Normal" in 5 axis machine operation is used to generate the tool path, the tool path is perfect as seen in Picture 1, Tool path is taking in account 20mm Gauge length, and 100mm tool length, so that means 100(half dia of cylinder) + 20 +100 = 220, at a point where Y = 0, Everything is perfect in tool path generation.
    But the problem in is when the job is posted using MACH3 post processor(picture 2) , observed in the posted NC file, the value at this location of tool is 100, which means that when exported the gauge length and tool length is not taken in account.

what am i doing wrong ???

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.jpg  

Re: rhinocam 5 axis (H/H) postprocessor not acounting for Gauge & Tool length

Hi, I have done this pp shakedown testing simple positioning commands first.
    Can you hit the mark with just simple 3d motion?
    Then add tool axis vectors.
    Can your software allow a positioning move to a x,y,z,point with a toolaxis vector ?
    Can you insert positioning commands prior to posting.?
    Whose post? is it proven? is this your first involvement with multiaxis?
    Been doing this too long

I don't think you can expect a generic post-processor to take the unique kinematics of your machine into account. But (assuming you're using a legal version of RhinoCAM Premium) Mecsoft will configure a custom 5-axis post for free that will work. You need to get in touch with them and give them the dimensions of each joint in your machine.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    Hi, I have done this pp shakedown testing simple positioning commands first.
    Can you hit the mark with just simple 3d motion?
    Then add tool axis vectors.
    Can your software allow a positioning move to a x,y,z,point with a toolaxis vector ?
    Can you insert positioning commands prior to posting.?
    Whose post? is it proven? is this your first involvement with multiaxis?
    i dont quite actually get what you are saying,

the problem is that the toolpath is fine, but it is not being converted to NC using post processor

Quote Originally Posted by fragment1 View Post
    i dont quite actually get what you are saying,

the problem is that the toolpath is fine, but it is not being converted to NC using post processor
    Are you running the program in "demo" mode? It won't post G-code unless you pay for it. If you've done that, talk to tech support about your problem.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Andrew,

Just started looking at RhinoCAM. You mentioned the demo version will not post G-code.

Is there also a time limit on the demo as well?

My issue is that the learning curve is not short and I can't go 40hr/week heads down on it exclusively.

Thanks!

Bruce

There's no time limit on the demos, but you can't post code or save your work. So if you're working on complex parts, give yourself a decent block of time to figure it out, so you won't have to start from scratch when you pick it up again.
    Andrew Werby
    Website