585,761 active members*
4,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Can I "lock" the spindle on a TL-1?

Can I "lock" the spindle on a TL-1?

I would like to know if I can lock the spindle on a TL-1 so that I can open tha jaws with one hand and hold the stock with the other? Should be simple but I am a CNC lathe newby. I just got it on Saturday.

Thanks,
    LeRoy

M05 = Spindle Stop
    M19 = Spindle Orientation ( Normally used in MDI Mode )
    Wayne Hill

The control says that I am trying a command that is not enabled. I will have to turn on the parameter. I don't have time to mess now so I will have to wait. Thanks for the help.

Leroy

Spindle Orientation is an option you have to pay extra for.

It may not do exactly what you want. It is possible to orient the spindle and have the motor hold it there, however, if you apply much force to the chuck trying to turn it it is quite easy to overload the spindle drive.

I have spindle orientation on a GT20 and intended to do just what you are describing and it did not work very well. I finished up attaching a bracket to the machine with a hole for the chuck key to pass through. Now I orient the spindle so the socket in the chuck is in line with the hole and then turn the spindl off. When I insert the chuck key the bracket supports it and the key can be spin with one hand.

I had to extend the chuck key and this gave me the extra advantage that the door would not close with the chuck key in the bracket so it is not possible to start the machine with the key in.

If you have High and Low Gear you can do that too Putting the Spindle in Low Gear will keep it stationary while attaching Pie Jaws or Chucking Large Diameter slugs
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    If you have High and Low Gear you can do that too Putting the Spindle in Low Gear will keep it stationary while attaching Pie Jaws or Chucking Large Diameter slugs
    No gears on TL1, belt drive only.

Insert 0 for speed and press forward.

It work well on my TL-2 but be carefull! The controller will try to compensate the rotation so if you twist quickly the spindle, it will came back with a delay.

I used that method without having any problem but I'm not responsible if it hurt somebody.

AAAHHH, thank you! Works good enough for what I am trying to do. I was very cautious at first for a test, now I know what to expect.

Thanks again,
    LeRoy

What param is it that needs changed?

no param to set, just push 0 and fwd or rev and the spindle will be "lock"

I find that simply turning on the spindle to any rpm and then overriding the spindle % to 0 (zero). It basically locks it without changing any parameters because in my opinion changing parameters is not a good idea unless HAAS directly tells you to.

spindle lock

You can if you have spindle Orin. option turned on. M19 would lock the spindle.