584,800 active members*
4,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Need Help with my new CNC 3040 MAchine.

Unhappy Need Help with my new CNC 3040 MAchine.

I got my CNC up and running a few weeks ago using the Mach3 demo.
    The machine was working fine for me until last night. I turned the machine on and it made a noise and I could smell a bit of burning.
    I have no clue what happened or how to troubleshoot it. The spindle spins no problem but it wont move when I press up down left or right on the keyboard.
    If I start a gcode it wont move either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21762126_1200104243466740_2842367673991946740_n.jpg   21765012_1200104270133404_4364227742676432545_n.jpg  

Re: Need Help with my new CNC 3040 MAchine.

I think it's something to do with the wiring or the control box. Could someone please help me figure this out. I am at my wits end.

Sounds like the driver board has blown. Is it a TB6560 based one, if so there's a better than fair chance the main IC's have blown.

It may be visually obvious, you could swap axis to test which axis is dead anyway.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I am not sure which driver board it is. I bought this 300W 3040 New 3 Axis CNC Router Engraver 3D Engraving Drilling Milling Machine | eBay

I tried swapping the axis but nothing happened. If the driver board has blown would it not stop the spindle for turning on?

If the spindle powers on fine but the axis doesn't move, then it sounds like the driver IC itself has died. This will be the larger chip, usually with a heatsink attached. I'm guessing the driver board for this machine is TB6560 based or similar? If so, unfortunately these drivers are pretty much garbage and prone to blowing if a specific power on/off sequence isn't followed. You'll see many long threads about this IC in these forums.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Ok thanks. So would you recommend getting a better one or getting a new CNC altogether? Im tempted to get a refund and buy this Shapeoko Deluxe 3-Axis CNC Desktop Kit - RobotShop
    What do you think of the board this has?

If you can't get a refund, the best driver (4-axis) in that class seems to be the Gecko G540. It's a decent amount of money though. You might need a new place to mount it and new power supply as well, as who knows how that thing is wired.
    I'm not sure how good of a machine the Shapoko is, running those little belts on those little steppers.. Should be plenty fast, but belt drives like that aren't the stiffest.

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    If you can't get a refund, the best driver (4-axis) in that class seems to be the Gecko G540. It's a decent amount of money though. You might need a new place to mount it and new power supply as well, as who knows how that thing is wired.
    I'm not sure how good of a machine the Shapoko is, running those little belts on those little steppers.. Should be plenty fast, but belt drives like that aren't the stiffest.
    Im really thinking bout buying the Gecko G540, what power supply unit would I need? I am in the UK. If I buy a Gecko from the US would it still work in the Uk?

The Gecko will work in the UK. It uses the DC voltages from the power supply. Get a power supply that runs off your voltage requirements. There may already be one in the machine you have. The Gecko can use a range of DC voltages and amps.
    You will need to know the specs on your motors to set it up correctly.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SMG11 View Post
    Im really thinking bout buying the Gecko G540, what power supply unit would I need? I am in the UK. If I buy a Gecko from the US would it still work in the Uk?
    It might be a little more expensive up front, but once you use a G540 you will never regret buying it!

They are that good! And with bullet proof support to boot.

cheers, Ian