584,798 active members*
4,318 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Spindle cooling from water supply

Spindle cooling from water supply

I am installing a water cooled spindle and have been looking at various setups. It dawned on me I have a 1/2" water line running right over my 36"x36" machine. I am thinking about tapping into the 1/2" water line with a solenoid valve and running a feed and return line straight down to the spindle and just running softened cold water for cooling. I'd dump the return into a sink next to the cnc. No radiator, no sump, no pump. There's no need for glycol in a system. Anyone see an issue with this approach to cooling a spindle?

Re: Spindle cooling from water supply

Yes, I see an issue with this. Most of the globe doesn't have enough fresh water for drinking and you want to waste water through this stupid solution. Why not create a closed system using a pump like everyone else?

I can't understand why you'd run plain water through it. You wouldn't do that with your car radiator would you?

Same for the spindle, a large bucket of radiator coolant with a small pump is all that's required, no algae growth, mold, or contaminants to cause rust.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I would be using a pump, a well pump and the water goes right back into the ground. Actually I probably won't even be using enough water to kick on the pump. Obviously since you say my ideas are stupid you are much smarter than I am, probably better looking, and vastly superior in every way. I humbly submit to your dominance, will totally ignore your frivolous comment and get on with my life.

I've installed a variety of geothermal systems and the only reason to run glycol is for anti-freeze. It actually lowers the heat transfer capabilities of water. There's simply no need for glycol. I've never had any problem with algae, mold or contaminates causing rust in my residential system so I don't see where it would be an issue with this. It's well water running through a softener, double filter.. I run the exact same hose from the cold water to a refrigerator ice cube maker. Not using a sump. pump or radiator is just eliminating things that could go wrong.

Wow... it seems you are the one who know everything, so why did you ask this question?

I don't think algae would be an issue, as it's a continuous flow of filtered (earth filtered..) water, but rust might be. Residential systems don't use much steel, I would think rust is part of the reason why.

Yes rust is my concern, good point.