584,817 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Do lathe headstock spindle bores require line boring?

Do lathe headstock spindle bores require line boring?

In all of the gingery lathe build logs I've read, a temporary headstock is constructed for the sole purpose of line boring the permanent headstock.

Assuming everything is correctly indicated and the machine is properly trammed, can't it be done using more common drilling and boring operations on a lathe, mill or drill press?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Do lathe headstock spindle bores require line boring?

The headstock is line bored to ensure that the spindle is perfectly aligned to the bed. It is the simplest and fastest way get it accurately aligned and does not require the use of indicators etc... If you machine the bore separately then you need to align it to the bed in multiple axes. That is not an easy task and you would probably not get it as well aligned. It is actually less work to build the temporary headstock than to try to align it otherwise.

bob

Re: Do lathe headstock spindle bores require line boring?

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    The headstock is line bored to ensure that the spindle is perfectly aligned to the bed. It is the simplest and fastest way get it accurately aligned and does not require the use of indicators etc... If you machine the bore separately then you need to align it to the bed in multiple axes. That is not an easy task and you would probably not get it as well aligned. It is actually less work to build the temporary headstock than to try to align it otherwise.

bob
    Thanks. The reason I asked is because I have two 109 craftsman lathes in various states of repair. The spindle bores are way too small. I am contemplating on reboring one of them to support at least a 20mm MT1 spindle by using the other as a temporary headstock.

The issue is how to mount the target headstock (the one being rebored) on the bed rails while allowing it to slide. Normally, to perform a line-bore, the target is mounted on a carriage. If I do this, it will offset the bore. I could clamp the target on its side, but it would be just as hard as not line boring at all.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk