585,753 active members*
4,651 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 5 12345

end view of rails

This is an end-on view of the igus rail, slider and gantry base. The end pieces were removed to allow adjustment and installation of the X axis rails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mljh_0008_031804.jpg  

bottom of gantry/carriages view

Here you can see the bottom of the gantry and 2 carriages installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mljh_0009_031804.jpg  

But that didn't work!

Unfortunately, that idea did not work out very well. It was nearly impossble to adjust the carriages so they glided smoothly but did not have any side-to-side slop. This was partly because it was tricky to work on both ends at the same time - if you know what i mean. So...

this is the solution...

I made 2 slider plates out of 1/4" aluminum. I was able to accurately drill and tap holes for the bolts that hold the carriages. The bolts pictured were temporary (too long). This allows me to adjust each side independently. This turned out to be very easy to adjust and now slides easily with no noticible side-to-side movement. The left slider is installed on the igus rail, the right one is flipped over so you can see the bottom.

You can also see the movable gantry, before painting, in the background. The cross braces are cut out to allow the table top braces to clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mljh_0010_031804.jpg  

Full view of the movable gantry. The Y axis will be constructed similar to the X but without the additional MDF rails. The center of the router should be positioned very close to the center line of the base plate to help minimize torque that could bind the carriages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mljh_0011_031804.jpg  

Side view of the gantry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mljh_0012_031804.jpg  

gantry painted and positioned on the sliders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mljh_0013_031804.jpg  

The gantry painted - full view. I really like this color but I just ran out. Unfortunately I've had this can for a few years and Krylon no longer makes it! The only other parts to paint is the Z platform which I will either clear coat or paint grey. The table top is clear coated with acrylic krylon spray. It looks pretty nice contrasted with the green. Hope i won't need to do any touch ups!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mljh_0015_031804.jpg  

closer view of the new aluminum sliders

installed left side and bottom of the right slider so you can see how the carriages are mounted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mljh_0016_031804.jpg  

So, I picked up my allthread (1/4") today and my bearings (3/4" od 1/4" id) for the antibacklashes for them came in today. I think I am done cutting mdf. Now I just need to permanently mount the gantry, build the screwmounts w/ the antibacklash bearings, make my antibacklash nuts (cutting board most likely using the design chuckknigh created in http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...&threadid=2714 - thanks chuck!), finsh the motor mounts, etc, etc!

joining mdf experiences

When I started assembly my intention was to use 10-24 machine screws and tap the mdf. I did that for the endplates. I used a size #25 drill as required, tapped the holes, reinforced with thin CA and retapped. I really wasn't satisfied with them since it seemed very easy to strip the threads (I actually did strip 1 hole) and the mdf was prone to cracking/delaminating. So i did a quick test of machine screws/tapped holes v. deck screws (I didn't want to wait for "real" mdf screws to ship). I basically screwed a 4"x2" 3/4" mdf block to a 24"x2" 3/4" mdf "arm". The block extended past the arm by 2 inches. This was then clamped in my workbench vise with the arm pointed straight up. I then pulled on the top of the arm with my calibrated appendage (hand) until the fastener failed. The 1 1/4" deck screw was obviously stronger requiring almost double the force to pull free. These screws can be neatly countersunk and are removable too. i used a dewalt screw drill that drills the hole and countersink at the same time. Makes the job a lot quicker than tapped mdf too. And I found some really cool gold anodized deck screws at the local hardware store.

Just a thought, your mileage may vary.

Well, darn it! I broke my leg - left one, right above the ankle bone - on Saturday playing baseball on wet grass with my son. Wet grass and my right foot slipped out in front of me on the grass and my left foot was behind and bent up and, well, broke. I guess I will be out of commision for a few days until I can navigate the stairs down to my shop. At least all of the heavy mdf parts are cut.

So far, I am very happy with the new carraige arrangement but until it is under power I won't know for sure how they work.
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Get working on it!

Then you can mill yourself a new leg
    -Please check out my webiste-
    http://www.teilhardo.com

Mhackney - thanks for keeping the posts comming! i always am sad when i read through a great thread and the poster\creator stoped putting up progress reports! if you keep putting up pics, you will keep getting advice and encouragement. i am interested in seeing you the igus works for you.. I keep fluctuating between trying the Cheap N27 stuff, or just biting it and trying to get used THK stuff off ebay - where it seems plentifull and reasonably priced.. last nite i saw new 18 inch rails and 2 shttles for like 100.00 range. plus retarded shipping msot likely..

the leg thing is a bummer. right at the begining of nice weather.. i did that one. 6 months and 2 surgeries later i finally started rehab! those screws they use on bone are way meaner than drywall screws, but similar..
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

teilhardo and vacpress - thanks for the encouragement! I get a cast tomorrow morning at 7am (now THAT is painful!). I can scoot up and down stairs so I should be able to get downstairs. I have consiously spent the last 48 hrs staying off my foot and reclining in the hopes of speeding recovery. I really want to know how those igus rails work too!

Cheers,
    Michael

You haven't got a cast yet? !!
    That must really be painful, the nice thing about a cast is that it keeps doubts about improvement to a minimum. After the initial pain from the swelling subsedes, you can just about do anything without having to worry that your leg is going to rebreak (except maybe run a marathon and take a "normal" shower). We all wish you a quick recovery

-Tei
    -Please check out my webiste-
    http://www.teilhardo.com

no, the accident happened saturday late in the day and that was the soonest I could get in. I do have a plaster splint so that helps a lot. Luckily I have a high pain threshold! That should help with getting the router together too!

last nite i saw new 18 inch rails and 2 shttles for like 100.00 range. plus retarded shipping msot likely..
    Saturday morning I got a 19" set for $41+$9shipping. They're the smaller ones, though. 15mm rails. There are some real good deals on the smaller sizes, but you need to look often. But the other day I saw a1 18" pair go for close to $200. I think those were 20mm. They were new, though
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Aw Geez Mike.
    Sorry to hear about your leg. Sounds like you are taking it well. Keep the spirits high!
    Good job on the router. With the xylotex board and 24V and Mach2 I get 46"/min rapids on 1/4-20 threaded rod. I am going to bigger rod to get the speeds up. It seems fast at first but you quickly realise how slow it is. Sounds like you already have the bearings. I do too, I am just going to turn the rod down with a drill and a dremel. You might want to consider it if you are concerned about speeds. What spindle will you be using?
    I haven't done much on my router this week, starting a business seems to take most of my time for some reason....
    co

Nice router Mhackney. After reading your thread I ordered some 40mm W glides for my X axis. I request a sample and ended up using it for my Z. It seems like a great product and is much cheaper then used THK. For my 44" X axis the two rails and glides ran me $150; after watching E-bay for a month I haven't seen any used rails near this length.
    Keep up the good work and hope the leg feels better.
    Bill

Page 3 of 5 12345