585,729 active members*
4,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 5 345
    Originally posted by radio-op
    Moving gantry, 40 x 24 x 6 envelope with a 1 3/4 Hp Porter-Cable router. Using a combo of 1/8" plate and 8020 X beams for the gantry constructions. 214 Oz/in Pac Sci steppers with microstepping drives built from Embeddedtronics.com boards. 1/2" 10 Acme rods with Delrin lead nuts. Igus W glides on the X and Z, 1" hardened rods and rollerblade berings on the Y.
    I over built the power supply, used 3 10A 30V transformers, one per axis, so I can upgrade to Gecko drives later on and run my steppers configured as parallel bipolar, 4.6A per phase. For now I can run them series bipolar, 2.3A per phase.
    I'll start a thread soon as I get some pixs together.
    Bill
    Hi Bill,

Keep me posted, that's a good size gantry. I'm glad you are using acme rods. Regular threaded stock would be a bit too fine. If it still seems slow, you can decrease the microstep number. Do post pictures.

Kin
    http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
    Robotics, CNC, and Controllers

Originally posted by radio-op
    Moving gantry, 40 x 24 x 6 envelope with a 1 3/4 Hp Porter-Cable router. Using a combo of 1/8" plate and 8020 X beams for the gantry constructions. 214 Oz/in Pac Sci steppers with microstepping drives built from Embeddedtronics.com boards. 1/2" 10 Acme rods with Delrin lead nuts. Igus W glides on the X and Z, 1" hardened rods and rollerblade berings on the Y.
    I over built the power supply, used 3 10A 30V transformers, one per axis, so I can upgrade to Gecko drives later on and run my steppers configured as parallel bipolar, 4.6A per phase. For now I can run them series bipolar, 2.3A per phase.
    I'll start a thread soon as I get some pixs together.
    Bill
    Hi Bill,

Wiring the stepper in serial or at parallel results to similar performance. It's more costly to do parallel, since you need to get a heftier power supply. Both put maximum current to the coils. You must make sure to set the current limit on the boards, ours can put out 3amps and to be safe you should not go over 2.3A. For maximum speed, our driver can go up to 55volts. The more voltage you can put out the better. Just don't go beyond 55volts. It is the current that will destroy your motors, just like a light bulb glowing too hot. Hope this helps. Also double check the voltage of your unregulated 30volt after you have filter caps and rectified. It will be higher. You have a good setup.

Kin Fong
    http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
    Robotics, CNC, and Controllers

Actually I ment 24V transformers, with about 30V DC. About the only way I can run these motors is series bipolar without shelling out the cash for Geckos. I will still have good torque at low speeds so I'll live with the lower torque at higher RPMs.
    Just got me Z lead screw and AB nut setup. Chucked a drill motor to the coupler and am very pleased with the Igus glides. Raising the weight of the PC router takes very little finger pressure (about 70-80 oz/in ?). Should have the mount for the Z stepper done this weekend.
    Bill

Hey Mike.
    Any news on your router?
    Hows your leg healing up?
    co

Co - thanks for asking! i should be back working on it on wednesday. The leg feels fine so it is just a matter of time in the cast. I went down to the shop today to move things around in prep to getting back at it. We have this nasty thing called "tax day" coming up on April 15th and like all good Americans, I wait until the last minute to do my taxes! No heavy lifting required though.

cheers!
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Page 5 of 5 345