584,874 active members*
5,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > using IPS need tool change clearance

using IPS need tool change clearance

When I make a multi operation program with the IPS software it does not move z positive enough to make a tool change. This on the surface did not bother me because I could manually move z and then restart the next operation. The problem is that when you go into mdi to save and edit the program and save it, where ever you stoped and manually moved z in the program everything before that gets lost and it is not there to save. Is there a safe tool change setting somewhere that I can't find? Is there any other way around it?

Thanks
    LeRoy

One thing you may be able to try.

Save your program, intact without any moves that cause parts of it to get lost as you describe.

Now look through the program that is saved and find all the tool changes; insert a G28 on the line ahead of the tool change command.

Finding a tool change is easy; in EDIT enter T1, or T101 and cursor down.

or you can set a gXX (like g54) to a tool change height and use a offset change and move to get to the proper place.

For instance when the programs is ending I always put a:

g115
    gz
    gxy
    g54

before the M30 and you set the G115 to a place that is convenient to change parts ect...

or you can do the g28 thingy!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

It is getting the program from the play/record screen over to the MDI screen so that I can save it that I am having the problem with, not the code for moving the axis to clear the tool. If you don't run all the little programs in IPS when you go over to MDI to edit and save the operations only the ones that run after a manual move will be there. I cant get it to run all of them because it will crash, and I can't change anything because I can't get them all over to the editor. Kinda a catch 22. This is on a lathe TL-1.

Thanks.

I have two suggestions, the first removes all your problems with IPS; learn how to do it with G code and completely ignore all the crap about IPS and anything else which will allow you to only go so far and which has unavoidable limits. Once you know G code you can do anything except compund curves which need CAM and probably can't be done using IPS anyway.

The other suggestion is write your IPS program but pretend your stock is sticking out of the chuck about 10 inches or so. Then donn't put in any stock or tools and run the program. You have nothing to crash so the program completes, can be saved correctly and then edited.

I wish that I knew all the g code And that is what I would do. I did figure out that I can cycle start through all the operations and immediatly hit the reset button before anything moves and it stores all the operations correctly.

I bought this machine to learn to run a CNC lathe on, (I have alot of experience on manual lathes, both engine and turret) but I want to speed up my making of parts and have a little better machine than my old worn out manual machines. The G code will come shortly I am sure, I am watching the code that the IPS generates, making changes and seeing what changes in the code. I am learning but it is never fast enough.

Thanks
    LeRoy

How fast do you expect to learn?

I had been a machinist since the early 1960's but I had never touched a CNC machine until I bought a Haas HL1 in June 1999. I knew a bit of computer programming from the 1970's when I used Fortran and also new HTML having hand coded a 200 page website.

I knew nothing about G codes.

It took me six weeks to sort things out and write a successful program. Then I bought a VF0 and it took me three weeks to get a useful program; this was because I tried to understand tool compensation from the word go. I ditched tool compensation and made progress. It took me over a year before I was started to get comfortable with tool compensation.

If you are expecting to get very far in less than six weeks you are being too optimistic.

What kind of part are you trying to make? As I mentioned earlier if it is complex curves then CAM is needed; if it is simple lines, tapers and curves with a known radius and tangent points that can be calculated or plotted in a CAD program skip right over IPS or anything like that and dive into G code. You will get much further in the long run.

Post a drawing and I will see if I can make suggestions.

I went from manual machining to CNC machining inside of 3weeks but I have a HEAVY background in computer programing and I don't let anything that I want to do intimidate me.

I jumped into cad/cam within about 2 months because of some of the complexity of the part I was quoting.

But as for Geof's timescale I would say he is a fast learner, and if these things Intimidate you at all, you will take longer to learn.

But of course you could be the other type that picks it up instantly (I hate those people )
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"