584,842 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Rhinocam > New User with RhinoCeros and RhinoCam

Talking New User with RhinoCeros and RhinoCam

Hi i'm just about to get into CNC! I've just bought a second hand CNC machine a K2 the previous user used it for guitar bodies.
    It comes with RhinoCeros 4.0 and RhinoCam 2.0
    My 3d modeling experience has to date been limited to Sketchup and when I have looked albeit briefly at 3d programs there seems to be a steep learning curve which I have not committed myself to yet.
    Previous to finding this 2nd hand machine I was going to go along the route of a Ooznest kit machine and tie it up with Vetric Software probably Aspire which I imaging would be a simpler route software speaking?
    The question is this should I stick with the Rhino Combination or sell this and invest in Aspire.
    I imagine RhinoCeros and RhinoCam could be sold for a resonable amount as it would halve the price of buying new as an upgrade could be bought, anyone have any ideas re. the value of this combination?
    Thanks for reading and any comments and advice for a newbie will be welcomed.

Re: New User with RhinoCeros and RhinoCam

What will you be using the machine for?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I run a small machine shop with 12 seats of Rhinoceros and 8 seats of Rhinocam. It's a very good bang for the buck IMHO. I have never used the older version you have so I can't comment on that.

I might be interested in buying your RhinoCam. I have been using RhinoCam 1 for a long time and can't quite bring myself to get the latest upgrade because I have been thinking of going a different direction, but a lower cost path to get myself a little bit updated would be good. I will send you a PM with my contact details.

Although I have had Rhino for many years I have not learned it very well. I use AutoCad every day so I do my parts in AutoCad then import them into Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What will you be using the machine for?
    To begin with signs in wood later wood components for furniture etc and then To aluminium parts.

If you have the Rhino suite,why would you want to sell it to buy another unfamiliar piece of software?The Rhino tutorials will get you proficient with the CAD element fairly soon and you are going to have to learn a CAM system at some time.The fact that the whole design and machining operation can be done without exporting to another file format is a big advantage.I would strongly recommend a few evenings of exploring the capabilities of the system that you have before making decisions.

With the Rhino-RhinoCAM software you've got, you'll be able to do a lot more than with the Vectric stuff. Sure, there's a learning curve, but once you've figured it out you'll be way ahead of the game. If all you wanted to do was signs, then you might not need all those capabilities, but if you're planning to make other sorts of parts in aluminum, then you'll find them coming in very handy.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I could not agree with Routalot/Awerby more! I have a K2 knock off (built it myself) and have been using Rhino/RhinoCam for years. I also have a furniture shop and use it all the time. The CAD learning curve is just something you are going to have to endure. Between the various YouTube vids and tons of support on the net it really is not that bad. The RhinoCAM is VERY robust. You need to forget about sketchup as it is very limited. Sounds like you got a great deal and I would run with it.
    Steve