585,996 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Your typical "should I get it thread"

Your typical "should I get it thread"

I am looking at getting a cnc lathe and mill for my home shop and I wanted to see what some shoptask owners thought about thier machines.
    I am looking at the machine with theier windows CNC upgrade, ball screws and some other tooling. I need this to be able to run without having to do heavy modifications to do nice work.
    The other option Im considering is a seperate maxnc lathe and mill which look nice but Im worried about its power and ridgedness

I did some searching myself and everyone seems to be overall happy with their machines. From what I have read the lathe part is as good as any other lathe, but the mill is a bit of a compromise in rigidity compared to a dedicated mill, still the best on the market as far as multipurpose machines go. I ordered mine for the April shipment, same set up as you are talking about, cnc and ballscrews, I am probably going to add the DRO before I pick up, just because I can get the lifetime warranty on that also if I buy it with the machine. I am excited about getting the machine. One more thing, the price of raw metal seems to be going up, I would recommend ordering one before the price of the machine goes up as well. I speak from experience, if I had ordered mine 3 days earlier I would've saved $200 and gotten it a month earlier as well. Also if you are serious about getting the machine email, I have a tip that can save you quite a bit of money.