585,705 active members*
4,026 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 14 23456
    I was just using the standered settings in Rhino.

Sweet that will render boss!

LG
    keep on trucking!
    www.liquidguitars.com

What is the file extension supposed to be for the included file?

-tulsah

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Well shut my mouth. Look like a perfect Solid to me.

I guess the problem arises when you go IGES out of Rhino and try to convert those surfaces into a solid.

I think the ACAD thing took us all off target.

Well done Magnus. Now we are ALL communicating. :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by GooCart View Post
    Here's what a tesselation in rhino looks like with a 0.01 mm tolerance.

Very Smooooooth Magnus.

Ok, now I going to have to try to not look stupid, but........

What is the big deal about watertight guitar models when you are going to carve them from pieces of wood, with very loose tolerences compared to r/p or metal machining? I can take the original model posted by GooCart and use nothing other than Rhino and a plugin, carve the top, cut the pockets, drill the holes, etc, and when assembled, it will not matter whether the model was watertight or not......and that is my question? What possible difference will it make in the end result?

Mike

btw just for fun......nurbs carves much smoother than polys
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    Ok, now I going to have to try to not look stupid, but........

What is the big deal about watertight guitar models when you are going to carve them from pieces of wood, with very loose tolerences compared to r/p or metal machining? I can take the original model posted by GooCart and use nothing other than Rhino and a plugin, carve the top, cut the pockets, drill the holes, etc, and when assembled, it will not matter whether the model was watertight or not......and that is my question? What possible difference will it make in the end result?

Mike

btw just for fun......nurbs carves much smoother than polys
    Mike,

Pride goes before a fall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paulo bad surfaces.jpg  

Parisold file type .X_T

Quote Originally Posted by tulsah View Post
    What is the file extension supposed to be for the included file?

-tulsah
    Tulsah,

That file is a Parisolid file type .X_T

Used and loved the world over.

I posted the file for those who could use it, it's not the ultimate, universal, all type of cad system Les Paul. It's primary made for rhino users. It would be so much more fun if anyone started to carve the damned guitar.

The first one to post a picture off the carved top win.

Magnus,

That pic I posted is not from your New Parasolid model which is fine. It is acually another Les Paul carve top I have that DOES have bad surfaces. It is for example only of what CAN happen with bad surfaces.

Smile

Just a quick pic of a mdf test cut of the file for the top.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0228.JPG  

Sweet. you won the competition
    How does it look?

Looks great. I plan on starting the "real" build soon. I'll be using your files and I'll keep you informed on progress. My real passion is for violins and mandolins. Do you have any files for these?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glwilliams View Post
    Looks great. I plan on starting the "real" build soon. I'll be using your files and I'll keep you informed on progress. My real passion is for violins. Do you have any files for violins?

Greg

Can I ask you which file type you downloaded from here to cut that part?
    (3dm, Iges, X_T, ?)

Sorry Greg, no violin files. I'm really looking forward to hear from you.

Magnus

Mike,

Pride goes before a fall.
    Too true. Asuming it was pride that made me make that statement, that would be true in this instance too! But.....it wasn't!

If you have a cam system designed to work within Rhino, you truly do get the best of both worlds. Go into Rhino an set the mesh resolution, (still leaves a nurbs surface (((I think))) ), make the necessary setup in the un-named cam system, and the sufraces on Rhino do not have to be healed, and you will not get gouges, divots, or other gremlins!

I use Rhino and Madcam to cnc carve parts that are many times over more complicated than guitars, and these parts are made from wood. I will be the first to admit, that my Rhino models lack as far a quality goes, but in the end, they still get good parts that I still have to sand, and thus brings me back to my original question.

Why the need for the water tight models in guitar making? You still end up with a part that still needs hand work. Now if you are talking about open seams to the point that your bit resolution won't move over without a gouge, then, yes I can see it. But as bad a Rhino modeler as I am, I don't have that problem.

I can tell you what will happen if you don't have your mesh resolution set correctly though!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    Too true. Asuming it was pride that made me make that statement, that would be true in this instance too! But.....it wasn't!

If you have a cam system designed to work within Rhino, you truly do get the best of both worlds. Go into Rhino an set the mesh resolution, (still leaves a nurbs surface (((I think))) ), make the necessary setup in the un-named cam system, and the sufraces on Rhino do not have to be healed, and you will not get gouges, divots, or other gremlins!

I use Rhino and Madcam to cnc carve parts that are many times over more complicated than guitars, and these parts are made from wood. I will be the first to admit, that my Rhino models lack as far a quality goes, but in the end, they still get good parts that I still have to sand, and thus brings me back to my original question.

Why the need for the water tight models in guitar making? You still end up with a part that still needs hand work. Now if you are talking about open seams to the point that your bit resolution won't move over without a gouge, then, yes I can see it. But as bad a Rhino modeler as I am, I don't have that problem.

I can tell you what will happen if you don't have your mesh resolution set correctly though!

Mike
    Mike,

I am talking about being able to machine rhino files outside of the Mechsoft world. If you take bad rhino surfaces and try to machine them with software such as Mastecam you WILL get gouges. As long as you stay in Rhinoland I'm sure it's fine. I tend to look at the big picture, sorry.

Can I ask you which file type you downloaded from here to cut that part?
    (3dm, Iges, X_T, ?)
    Mike,

I used 3dm and iges files then convert to 3ds for Cut3d software.

Greg

Greg,

Well done. Vectric software is great. I own it too.

Hi Mike.
    When I export files to mastercam I use Iges and chose mastercam as Iges type in the iges export options tab.

As an industrial designer I have sent complex 3d files to the US, Canada, China, all over the world, and I have actually never heard that anyone have had any problems with the rhino format, neither in or out of rhinoland:banana:

The main issue for me is that Rhino let me design my parts as I want, not as the software wants. A traditional solid model software simply cant handle the type of complex geometry I use in my design.

You could take a look on some of our design at our website and its all been modeled in Rhino. http://www.strukturdesign.se/

Magnus,

Even though I don't agree with you about Rhino, if it makes you happy I love it.

I'm totaly ok with that, Mike

Greg,
    I noticed that you export to 3ds. Well, there you have a thing about Rhino that I don't like. When exporting to 3ds, there's a limit of 65535 polygons. If you axceed that limitation, rhino will split the mesh to parts.

Page 4 of 14 23456