584,817 active members*
4,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Problem with my ATC

G'day guys,

Found an interesting problem on my 1100 - Series 3.

The ATC suddenly stopped working and I got an error message:

ATC - Device, tray sensor not detecting arrival.

So I ordered a new Sensor Module (part number 32138) and tried that. No luck!

Anybody got any ideas?

Michael

Re: Problem with my ATC

Air pressure?
    Something keeping the ATC from sliding into position?
    Bad wire connection?

Quote Originally Posted by oneineight View Post
    Air pressure?
    Bad wire connection?
    I know that the air pressure is fine.
    I removed the air cylinder and made sure that it traveled smoothly.
    I couldn't find or see any problems with the wiring.

Gee, that would have been too easy

Low air pressure has given me that message several times, and the fault has always been mine.

I have also had trouble with the drawbar solenoid needle valve lock nut coming loose, and the needle backing out.
    The round, knurled, lock nut would suggest finger tightening.
    The third time it came loose, I used pliers to tighten it and have not had another repeat of that problem.

I wonder if you have a similar problem with your tray solenoid valve?

That is strange, I was getting this message recently too. I changed all of the cables out (phone cables) and added ferrite modules. This seems to have helped the error messages but I can say the atc is running reliably yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RA-Bowtie View Post
    G'day guys,

Found an interesting problem on my 1100 - Series 3.

The ATC suddenly stopped working and I got an error message:

ATC - Device, tray sensor not detecting arrival.

So I ordered a new Sensor Module (part number 32138) and tried that. No luck!

Anybody got any ideas?

Michael

Low air pressure has given me that message several times, and the fault has always been mine.

I have also had trouble with the drawbar solenoid needle valve lock nut coming loose, and the needle backing out.
    The round, knurled, lock nut would suggest finger tightening.
    The third time it came loose, I used pliers to tighten it and have not had another repeat of that problem.

I wonder if you have a similar problem with your tray solenoid valve?
    I have a feeling that you're right.
    The guy that I bought the machine from, is coming over next week and (hopefully) we'll find the problem.
    I did mention what you had said and he seems to think that might be the problem.
    I'll let you know.

Michael

Air pressure?
    Bad wire connection?
    I disconnected the air lines and the ATC does move without any dramas.... although, It does shudder sometimes. I tried a bit of lube on the
    slides and that seems to help.
    The power drawbar works fine, so I assume there's enough air pressure.
    Not sure on the "bad wire connection".... I'll look at that next week.
    Thanks for the taking the time to reply.

Michael

The atc communication wire which is a phone type. There are (2)

Quote Originally Posted by RA-Bowtie View Post
    I disconnected the air lines and the ATC does move without any dramas.... although, It does shudder sometimes. I tried a bit of lube on the
    slides and that seems to help.
    The power drawbar works fine, so I assume there's enough air pressure.
    Not sure on the "bad wire connection".... I'll look at that next week.
    Thanks for the taking the time to reply.

Michael

Ive had a bunch of problems with the flat connector that is inside the small enclosure on top of the Stepper motor on the ATC. I would track down the wire related to that sensor and make sure there is continuity.

David

As I mentioned, I'll have a look at that (hopefully) next week.

Thanks for the reply.

Michael

My ATC quit today. I did an e-stop because excessive chatter was pulling an EM out of the collet. I started the machine back up referenced everything then used the atc to stow the tool. I checked zero and then hit cycle start. The ATC would not move in. I received an error message that atc did not reach..... Ok, so I have fiddled with everything and can not find my problem. My airblast solenoid will not trigger either. I checked voltage and I am only getting 4.6 - 4.7 volts to either solenoid when triggered. Pretty sure I should have 12, anyone have any thoughts? Oh yeah, I can manually activate the solenoid and it travels in and retracts fine. No manual on airblast that I found.

Hi Michael,

I have an 1100 and had the same problem with the ATC and error message. Did you ever determine the problem and solution?

Thanks in advance.

Red face Re: Problem with my ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Renovo View Post
    Hi Michael,

I have an 1100 and had the same problem with the ATC and error message. Did you ever determine the problem and solution?

Thanks in advance.
    Yeah, actually I did.

The lock nuts, that hold the end of the air cylinder had come loose and that was causing the error.

It took a bit of figuring out.... but I got there

Michael

Thanks Michael, I spent a good deal of time with Tormach today and for me it turns out my ATC board has shorted out.

Thanks Michael, I spent a good deal of time with Tormach today and for me it turns out my ATC board has shorted out.
    I'm curious .... How did they diagnose the problem ?

Michael

The issue with my ATC progressed to the point that the fuse on the DC bus for the ATC would burn out when powering up. We connected and removed power and communication to determine which would blow the fuse. This process isolated the power circuit to the ATC board as the issue. Based on the Tormach's excellent tech team analysis and the results from installing and powering up the new board, it appears that the 12 volt regulator IC on the ATC board failed and caused the cascade of issues.

Not to resurrect an ancient thread, but I fixed a problem with my ATC today and since this is the one single thread that came up when I searched for the error message, I thought it best to add information here.

I was readjusting my ATC after a couple of crashes and after doing so, I began to get the "tray sensor not detecting arrival" error. There is a hall-effect sensor on the ATC which detects when the tray is in position for tool change, which you can see as a little plastic spot above the top rail. This reads a magnet on the left-side bearing when the trays moves in to position. When I adjusted my ATC's X-axis position using the nut on the cylinder, I pushed it just outside the detection window for the sensor. I measured it by disconnecting the air so I could move the tray by hand, and then nudged it in and out while watching the "Tray In" status light on PathPilot to see where it turned on and off. I used a marker to mark the edges of its detection window.

I wonder if the guy who drilled the hole for the sensor was a few mm off, because while there is a window of about 1/4" where the sensor reads "Tray In," in order to get the tray lined up to the spindle I have to go all the way to the edge of one side of that window. If I could, I'd probably move the tray out another millimeter or two, but I don't want to push my luck. Part of this problem began when that $#@!ing nut on the piston end slipped and loosened up. There's a few parts of this design (I have one of the new 12-pocket M-series ATCs) that feel lame to me and that whole drive system is a big one.

Anyway, in case someone else runs into this same issue figured I'd leave breadcrumbs here.

The issue with my ATC progressed to the point that the fuse on the DC bus for the ATC would burn out when powering up. We connected and removed power and communication to determine which would blow the fuse. This process isolated the power circuit to the ATC board as the issue. Based on the Tormach's excellent tech team analysis and the results from installing and powering up the new board, it appears that the 12 volt regulator IC on the ATC board failed and caused the cascade of issues.
    Renovo,

Do you remember the fuse that blew? I have a very similar problem that came up Saturday and I see it's a more rare problem then others.

Mine is a 2014 1100S3

Thanks,
    MAK

Hi Mak, The fuse was on the daughter board, but I do not remember which one. I sold that mill, so I won't be of much help. Tormach was helpful is diagnosing the problem with me over the phone in real time. Good luck.

Hi Renovo,

Thanks for the reply. That will point me in the right direction to start, I do have a call into Tormach and waiting for a call back. Do you remember what the board costed out of curiosity?

Thanks,
    Mak

Page 1 of 2 12