585,729 active members*
4,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

black ox TTS tool holders

Has anybody tried to have their TTS toolholders black ox coated? The areas that are already black oxed on their holders hold up very well to corrosion. I am wondering if I do the entire holder if it would hold up on the shaft of the tool sliding in and out of the collet. It is a lot of work to keep putting something on the shafts to prevent corrosion and then to clean them so they don't pull out in the machine. Doing nothing is not a good option here in Florida.

Re: black ox TTS tool holders

I've got some stuff coming from Caswell today that I was planning on trying

Be sure to let us know how it works out. You likely won't know for a little while how it holds up on the holders in use, but I would like to also know about the ease of use and quality of coating once you try it out.

To accomplish anything of value, whatever you put on the shank would have to be considerably harder than the collet. Good luck with that....

Regards,
    Ray L.

I've got some DIY TTS holders that I used some fairly cheap cold-blue on. No, the shanks aren't hardened, and the cold clue isn't a proper surface conditioning, but it's working fairly well. It's the usual gun stuff from Birchwood-casey for bodge-job touchups. Using some heat and de-greased steel wool helped quite a bit to get them good and dark with a reasonably even finish.

That, and wipe them with oil when you're done and some alcohol or acetone before you use them.

All bets are off if you've got an ATC and are using them in a production environment. In that case, I'd send them off to be salt-bath or plasma nitrided if you want the surface harder than the collet and extremely corrosion resistant.

-Spumco