584,842 active members*
4,534 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > How to add a 5th axis driver to existing 4 axis machine?

How to add a 5th axis driver to existing 4 axis machine?

I'd like to add a 3d print head to my cnc machine. I have a 4 axis Leadshine 4660 controlling the X,Y, and Z for now. I'm assuming I need a 5 axis breakout board to add the 5th axis. My question is do I connect my Leadshine 4660 to the 5 axis breakout via the DB25 cable coming out of the Leadshine into the breakout board?

Re: How to add a 5th axis driver to existing 4 axis machine?

You say you have a 4 axis lead shine 4660 but you only have X,Y & Z Hooked up to it. That is three axises so what is the fourth being used for? Also this question probably depends a bit on what you are using for control software. Also I'm not grasping what you are talking about as far as breakout boards as the Leadshine has that built in. In any event where you connect a board depends upon where your software is sending the communications for the axises attached to that drive.

Sorry, forgot to specify that I have 2 of the axis outputs controlling both Y and A for Y axis.

Is this how I wire up 3d printhead to work with Mach3?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24crv2h.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	375412

I researched this topic for myself a while ago. I bought a Gecko G540 which only drives 4 motors so for a 4th or 5th axis, I was told that I either needed a second G540 or one of their individual drivers plus a breakout board to connect it to my PC.

One parallel port likely doesn't have enough signals to properly drive that Leadshine device plus a 5th axis. I'd get a second port or a 2+ port step generator like a smoothstepper.
    Keep in mind that most CNC routers and mills make lousy 3d printers. I wouldn't bother if the machine can't do at least 200 IPM feeds. Also Mach isn't a great controller for 3d printers. Lots of hacks needed for things like setting extruder and bed temperatures, etc.
    You could avoid the Mach issues if you used a separate controller for when using as a 3d printer. Something like an Arduino Mega and a break out shield. That way you could run a standard 3d printer firmware and not have to deal with hacking Mach to work as a 3d printer controller.

Would've helped if I read the manual....turns out the Leadshine MX4660 can expand to a 5th axis easily

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5axis.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	375926

Hello Mason,
    Did you find a solution to add a 4th axis to the MX4660 ? I already hav 4 motors for the 3 X,Y and Z axis (1 slave) and try to add a rotary one... I bought a dm870 like on the manual but the motor is still off...
    Thank you!
    vincent

Hi Guys, was the issue of adding a 5th axis to a MX4660 w/ 870 ever resolved?
    I have a similar issue (Mach3,Warp9 ESS Smoothstepper functioning port 2 and a DM860H wired per manual). Still no "B" motor movement.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Also having issue with analog output (0-10vdc) for router speed control (port 1, pin 14).

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Dixon View Post
    I'd like to add a 3d print head to my cnc machine. I have a 4 axis Leadshine 4660 controlling the X,Y, and Z for now. I'm assuming I need a 5 axis breakout board to add the 5th axis. My question is do I connect my Leadshine 4660 to the 5 axis breakout via the DB25 cable coming out of the Leadshine into the breakout board?
    i am working on a project we have a cnc machine with 3 axises and want to add 3d printer to the cnc, to control the extruder, the hotend and The build platform:with aruino the connect them with CNC, or how can we add a the extruder stepmotor to the cnc ? do we need extra axis? how can to do it? i work on TNC 320 heidenhain