584,826 active members*
5,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Partner 1F w/ Centurion V first start up problems
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Partner 1F w/ Centurion V first start up problems

Been awhile since I messed with this. Thought I had the 3-axis runaway figured out, but apparently not. After sitting a couple months its back. So I cleaned the plugs going to the Glentek boards (long ones, blue wires) reseated them and took the belts off the servos just in case it ran away again. I did test for 5v at the card cage connectors back when it was first suggested, and all 3 were fine. Powered up, press reset, and everything was fine. Pressed home here and was able to jog each axis (belts still taken off). Pressed e-stop and reset a bunch of times and everything seemed hunky-dory.

So I put the belts back on and put everything back together. Powered up, reset, homed, sweet. Ran the table and spindle through a jog cycle for awhile. Went through the tuning the Glentek boards and managed to get the following error corrected.

Now today I go to try out some of the new tooling I finally managed to get, and on first drive reset all 3 axis try running away again. I did reseat the Glentek connectors again but that didnt help this time. I'm at a loss at this point.

check card cage 12v -/+ in card cage power supply

page 5 in troubleshooting guide section 2

Ron

Checked for 12v +/- at the plug going to the motherboard. Checked out fine. On a whim I unplugged the computer from the 120v line conditioner wired into the machine and plugged it directly into a wall power source. Guess what, reset just fine!

So I plugged a multimeter into each outlet on the conditioner and had a helper hit e-stop, reset a few times. At idle it hovered around 116v. When reset from e-stop, it jumped to 120-125v for a split second. Could it be this little power surge causing all the trouble? And would wiring in a new line conditioner solve this, or is it normal for that to spike on reset? Is there another component down the line from the conditioner I should be looking at that would cause it to spike?

Well, turns out I was wrong, that didn’t help my runaway. Back to square one again.

Have you pulled acroloop cards out and clean slots and gold fingers and re installed?

I did have the card cage out last fall to clean the card fingers and replace the CMOS battery. I can’t remember if I cleaned the card slots themselves though. I’ll try that again and reseat everything today. Are there any tests I can run on the card cage components themselves before connecting it to the machine again?

Well, I believe I found the problem. Looks like the -12v trace on the board is corroded to hell from that CMOS battery leak. Probing for continuity from the ATX power header to the -12v pin on the ISA slot showed nothing. Checked the +12v the same way and it was just fine.

So it looks like I'll be searching for another old antiquated 386/486 board or diving into putting my own SBC together.

386 board is toast by Michael Hagen, on Flickr

And for comparisons, this is how it looked back in October

Untitled by Michael Hagen, on Flickr

Id try and run jumper wires before tossing board. What do you have to lose? Quite a few of my acroloop cards and sim disks have evidence of that

Ron

I did in fact add a jump wire for the -12v trace and I was able to run the mill without a hitch. I should be able to make some chips while I piece together a SBC for this thing after all. Thanks to rl49 for pointing me in the right direction.

My original motherboard was toast for the same reasons. I found a NOS replacement on Ebay for under $100 if I remember correctly and a friend rebuilt the whole pc using a CF card instead of the simdisk and hard drive.

I gave up trying to find ebay boards.

If you are thinking of doing the SBC yourself I would contact Sportybob as my total costs buying the boards new and getting the software upgrades from Milltronics was about the same as getting him to do and he has capabilities to test acroloop cards.

Ron
    Last edited by rl49; 08-19-2018 at 11:02 AM.

I can help with an older 386 Motherboard or a SBC update
    Call me
    952-288-6340

sportybob

Hi Stagen, what about your machine is working now?, i just get one like yours and after some headaches and sleepless now is working but ATC not work Yours is working?, also like your it has a ugly noise from x axis at movement but i think will change rails and linear blocks. originaly like your mine run away at reset and i found is an x axis encoder wire broken now all is working fair good but not ATC. can you share your set up ATC macros?, also i recomend you use an usb floppy emulator i doo and works fine.

Page 2 of 2 12