584,854 active members*
4,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Some power supply and driver Questions

Some power supply and driver Questions

How do I calculate the voltage drop, if i run three drivers from the same torrioid transformer? Aslo which system is more beneficial, using three rectifiers and using diodesand the capaciotrs on each, or using one rectifier and just using the capacitors on each?

Also , If I have drivers that are rated at 3.5 amps and I decide to used motors that have a 4 amp rating, what am I sacrificing? Would it be beneficial to wire them in series bipolar other than paralell?

Thanks in advance
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gone4pepsi View Post
    How do I calculate the voltage drop, if i run three drivers from the same torrioid transformer? Aslo which system is more beneficial, using three rectifiers and using diodesand the capaciotrs on each, or using one rectifier and just using the capacitors on each?

Also , If I have drivers that are rated at 3.5 amps and I decide to used motors that have a 4 amp rating, what am I sacrificing? Would it be beneficial to wire them in series bipolar other than paralell?

Thanks in advance
    Mark
    Mark first off you may want to refer to this doc from gecko.

http://www.geckodrive.com/photos/Step_motor_basics.pdf
    Also bobcampell designs has some info on power supplies but I have lost that link I just saw it in another post today so check the other threads in this area.
    Those drives should suffice in either way. I would highly reccomend that you only use only one rectifier for a number of reason, but simplicty is most likely #one, and larger componets IMHO seem to be more robust. You also limit the chance of a crash if you have a PS failure, since none of the axises will be working.

Are you refering to full load voltage drop(ie the difference between full load and no load) or are you refering to secondary output? Keep in mind theory and reality are two different things you never hit full load with all 3 axises on a standard cnc setup.
    Don't over engineer/think this its typically very simple, KISS applies to this.

Chris

Everything I needed To know

Quote Originally Posted by in2steam View Post
    Mark first off you may want to refer to this doc from gecko.

http://www.geckodrive.com/photos/Step_motor_basics.pdf
    Also bobcampell designs has some info on power supplies but I have lost that link I just saw it in another post today so check the other threads in this area.
    Those drives should suffice in either way. I would highly reccomend that you only use only one rectifier for a number of reason, but simplicty is most likely #one, and larger componets IMHO seem to be more robust. You also limit the chance of a crash if you have a PS failure, since none of the axises will be working.

Are you refering to full load voltage drop(ie the difference between full load and no load) or are you refering to secondary output? Keep in mind theory and reality are two different things you never hit full load with all 3 axises on a standard cnc setup.
    Don't over engineer/think this its typically very simple, KISS applies to this.

Chris

Thanks Chris, You gave everything I needed all in one place. I really appreciated that.
    Thanks again
    Mark