585,717 active members*
4,143 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Super X3 setup issues

Ok I finally have the power to the wall and these are my current problems. I start my Mach session with the Mach loader and select the X3 profile, I am assuming that thats the right way to start.

issues

(1) The y axis seems to be inverted and I havent found out were to switch it. I think this is also why it will not refence, it overtravels in the y-.

(2) The x axis jups around and then overloads i guess, ??????

(3) I have yet to turn the spinle on from mach? I seems like in MDI I should be able to put in like a S800 and a M3 right?

Frustating right now, I sent the Syil America guys an Email over a day ago and still no reply

Call

Call richard directly he is very helpful.

In Mach3 under ports and pins on the Y axis change the check box for direction (if its an "x" change it to the checkmark or vise versa). This will cause it to drive in the opposite direction.

As for X jumping around and then faulting... If everything is wired up correctly and connections are tight then I would look into the pulse durations on the motor tuning and set them to a larger number until you get smooth motion. If its shutting down the drive then it could be the drive having some issue. Kind of hard to say without being there. You might check the debounce setting on the limit switches and increase it to see if you're just picking up noise.

I haven't used the spindle on function in Mach3 yet but it should be something to the effect of M3 S800. If it follows the format of the rest of the Gcode commands then it would be the code to turn it on and then the speed. However, I could be mistaken here. It could be that you don't have the correct port/pin assignment to get the M3 to actually turn anything on. I don't have a X3 (dang it!!) so I can't tell you how its wired.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Thanks the Y seems o be running fine now, i guess i will make a call for the x. Then on to the spindle.

There is a toggle switch on the front control panel of the X3(lower left hand side) that controls the spindle operation. One position selects manual control and the other selects Mach3 control. Check out the support page on the SyilAmerica site for the information on the use of this switch for controlling the spindle.

Dam Spindle Calabration

Ya I got my spindle goging and then I ran the auto calabrate spindle funtion and now it will only run at 1700 rpm no mater what S value I put in.

Still havent fixed the x axis issue sometimes it runs really rough and some times it just jumps back and forth. Also if I toggle it to jog x+ of x- it moves x- most of the time.

Also I can not change the hot keys?

Richard from SyilAmerica told me the spindle calibration does not work with the X3. I spent a considerable amount of time thinking I was improving the spindle performance and in reality it only got worse, so I would not recommend using the spindle calibration with your X3 anymore. I have not tried to set up any hotkeys in Mach3 yet. Does the X axis home switch work OK?

As for the spindle i am going to have to fix that tomarrow I hope.

I dont know if the home switch is working on the x axis, i cant really jog it.

I'm going through the process of setting up my X2.

On the X axis misbehaving.... you can try turning off the power to the box and switch the X and Y cables. Turn power back on and jog again. If the problem is now with the Y axis, and the X axis is fine, you know its not a mechanical problem. If the Mach 3 profiles are identical for X and Y it's probably an electrical problem.

(don't switch cables with the power on, that's a no-no.)

I had SEVERAL loose wires inside my electrical box. I think that is why my Y axis *started* running rough after I got it. I tightened everything I could get to. Syil is shipping me a replacement driver.

You may also want to check the axis thrust nuts and coupler screws for tightness, I had several of those loose as well.

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I will try that when i get home. hopefully i will be making chips this weekend. If not I have anouther machine to get running that I picked up in a surplus auction for $400 bucks. Its called a Orimill, made to support a computer stiching machine.