584,833 active members*
5,525 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ZX4075 BT30/ISO30 Spindle

Hi guys, I'm loosing my mind looking for a BT30/ISO30 spindle for my ZX7045, can't find it anywhere, well I'm lying since I found a company in germany that sells the full spindle in ISO30 but I'm waiting for the damn thing since april and I'm about done waiting since every time I ask they say that the'll have it in two months... so I'm looking for other suplier... can anyone help me???

Re: ZX4075 BT30/ISO30 Spindle

The owner of MTW might have some left (in Toronto, Canada). He's on facebook here https://www.facebook.com/Machine-Too...1563229339863/

Mike

thanks, I'll give them a call to see if they have some!
    for the price I might get 2 just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by ninefinger View Post
    The owner of MTW might have some left (in Toronto, Canada). He's on facebook here https://www.facebook.com/Machine-Too...1563229339863/

Mike
    thanks for the help, I ended up buying 2... it will take a while to get here but it's a done deal!

Glad I could help, I bought 1 as a spare for my mill as they seem rare enough and I want to go belt drive eventually so having 1 to play with is good.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ninefinger View Post
    Glad I could help, I bought 1 as a spare for my mill as they seem rare enough and I want to go belt drive eventually so having 1 to play with is good.

Mike
    I might have a problem tho... can you confirm me the bottom bearing ID (the one next to the cone)? from what I'd seen I might have a problem there since mine has a 32008 bearing (from the mill book, I'll have to check it for real if that's exactly what's inside) that's a 40mm ID, while at least, another guy here in the forum has a 35mm ID on his Bolton ZX45... I guess it can be sleeved if properly made since mine is suposelly bigger... will have to see that... but I would apreciate if you could check that for me.. the deal is done either way, won't go back!

Yes, mine is 35mm at the taper end and 30mm at the top just below the splines.

yeah, as I thought.... on my mill manual states that bearing as a 32008 (40mm ID), I'll have to check if that's real on the machine. If it is I'll have to go to a professional machinist to sleeve the spindle, I think it's quite doable...
    thanks for the info

confirmed today that my machine indeed has a 32008 bearing on. shame the BT30 shaft isn't 40mm also, it would be stronger... this way I'll need to add a sleeve. anyway, it's very doable, also need to have some pulleys done to convert the machine to belt drive.

Quote Originally Posted by vakeiros View Post
    Hi guys, I'm loosing my mind looking for a BT30/ISO30 spindle for my ZX7045, can't find it anywhere, well I'm lying since I found a company in germany that sells the full spindle in ISO30 but I'm waiting for the damn thing since april and I'm about done waiting since every time I ask they say that the'll have it in two months... so I'm looking for other suplier... can anyone help me???
    Chapter Oak Automation nt 30 spindle could be converted over to be with a little work.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead406 View Post
    Chapter Oak Automation nt 30 spindle could be converted over to be with a little work.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Thanks gearhead406 I'm already waiting for 2 units from Canada, should be here in a few weeks!

I bought the ISO30 spindle for my RF45 clone from the mentioned german supplier (www.kami-maschinen.de) and to my slight shock the listed 75mm OD of the sleeve doesn't fit properly the bore on my mill head (there is much more play than the original MT4 spindle). I will try to measure the sleeve's OD exactly but it wiggles inside if I don't lock the spindle to about 0,08 mm (3 thousands of an inch) which is unacceptable for me and will definitely throw off proper tramming and spindle stability.

But the biggest surprise was that the bearings are full of black oxidized steel debris from the inside of the sleeve that was not machined after it was hardened (the original MT4 spindle sleeve was machined on every ID surface). I did not turn on the motor because I would immediately start destroying the bearing. Not to mention the spindle sleeve inside was full of bearing grease - in the weight of one butter stick which is alot!

The only good thing was that I measured the runout to be only 0,006 mm (2 ten thousands) on the taper in cold state without warmup.

So looks like I've got a spindle from a bad batch. I'm thinking to put the ISO30 shaft into the original previously MT4 sleeve because it fits much more snugly my milling head bore. We'll see how it goes.

So the supplier said "all our spindles are like that".... so they are selling defective wares knowingly? What the hell

So not only the spindle sleeve is 0,09 mm out of tolerance, it's full of oxides that loosen by the gentlest of touch (photo) and the oxides in the top part are several milimeters thick! when I tried to scrape it off it came off like a thick black potato chip. The photo of the inside of the spindle sleeve is after it spent 2 days in a cleaning fluid to wash out bearing grease.

So anyway the supplier is a complete jackass by probably lying to me. They offered to return money which I'm afraid is not enough in this case.

Either they will replace it with a better sleeve or I will have to take it to a machinist with a bigger lathe than mine to bore out the nasty crust. Or adapt the previous sleeve from a MT4 spindle which means again having it machined to accept new bearings (mismatch between the ISO30 inner part and the MT4 sleeve bearing sizes). Or say goodbye to quill capacity and just use epoxy paint inside the sleeve to fix/freeze the oxides in place (this is how they do it in gearboxes).

This sucks

yeah, as I thought.... on my mill manual states that bearing as a 32008 (40mm ID), I'll have to check if that's real on the machine. If it is I'll have to go to a professional machinist to sleeve the spindle, I think it's quite doable...
    thanks for the info
    What machine do you have with 40mm bearings? All three of ours being different brands are 35 and 30.

I am looking myself. The German company doesn’t appear to ship to the USA. Also haven’t heard a response. Perhaps there is a market of need here someone should consider manufacturing them.

If any of you guys have one of these spindles extra id like to find one to see how they fit in my 4 different branded bench mills. Message me if anyone has or knows where one is for sale. Thanks.

I might have a problem tho... can you confirm me the bottom bearing ID (the one next to the cone)? from what I'd seen I might have a problem there since mine has a 32008 bearing (from the mill book, I'll have to check it for real if that's exactly what's inside) that's a 40mm ID, while at least, another guy here in the forum has a 35mm ID on his Bolton ZX45... I guess it can be sleeved if properly made since mine is suposelly bigger... will have to see that... but I would apreciate if you could check that for me.. the deal is done either way, won't go back!