585,982 active members*
4,688 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Confession Time - Sold my Soul for my CNC

Confession Time - Sold my Soul for my CNC

So this is a bit of a confession and a request for guidance. When I bought my CNCRouterParts 4896 Pro a couple of years ago I needed to sell a number of my existing tools to afford it. For the most part that has been OK. I sold my Sawstop Tablesaw, Powermatic 8" HH jointer, Dewalt Planer, Router table, Drum Sander, Festool Router and Domino. Good news was I took minimal loss on selling these items. It seemed like the only thing I didn't sell was my blood. Lately I am getting a bit more active with my craft and feel I am lacking those tools. Mainly for the sake of expediency/efficency. My CNC can do most of the operations I need but just not necessarily as efficiently as some of the tools I have sold. So the guidance request is what would be and in what order should I reacquire those tools? My typical use is for sign making. The tablesaw was what I thought initially but then I thought that a jointer and planer might make more sense as those operations are so much more efficient on purpose built tools. Another tool was the drum sander. BTW I still possess a bandsaw, SCMS, trim routers and a drill press. Your thoughts and guidance are appreciated.

Re: Confession Time - Sold my Soul for my CNC

Not sure how anyone else can tell you what you need. I would think you would know best what you need based on what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by brian257 View Post
    Not sure how anyone else can tell you what you need. I would think you would know best what you need based on what you are doing.
    Valid point Brian. I suppose I am more curious than anything else as to what tools people find are most complementary to their work. But you are most certainly correct in that only I can ultimately answer that question based on what my needs are...

If you are working with solid woods, then a planer and jointer are indispensable. The table saw is probably the most important.

I'd say
    1) Table Saw
    2) Planer
    3) Jointer

The CNC Can flatten one face, like a jointer, relatively quickly. You can then go to the planer to finish both faces.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you are working with solid woods, then a planer and jointer are indispensable. The table saw is probably the most important.

I'd say
    1) Table Saw
    2) Planer
    3) Jointer

The CNC Can flatten one face, like a jointer, relatively quickly. You can then go to the planer to finish both faces.
    Thank you Gerry...now I just need to make room for a tablesaw

You may not need all the room that a full-size table saw takes up either.
    There are some nice portables that fold up and get out of the way easily. They are not meant to break down full-size sheet goods but can do that duty too with the right peripheral equipment.
    In particular, the Saw Stop Jobsite saw or the Bosch Reaxx. Both have blade stop technology. I am considering the Reaxx myself. Your router can break down full-size sheets too.
    Then make sure all of your equipment is on wheels. Lots of other small shop space saving ideas out there.
    Lee

Jointer and planer made a lot of projects possible for me. I don't even have a table saw setup.

I think since you have a bandsaw a tablesaw should be low on your list. There is nothing almost nothing a tablesaw can do that a bandsaw can't. The only 2 things it can do that a bandsaw can't is crosscut plywood into large pieces, and rip fast with a decent edge.

You need to change your blade to a high toothcount blade for smooth edges when ripping on a bandsaw, which slows the speed down.

But if you have a jointer that's not an issue. I use my jointer on plywood. It does dull the blades faster though.

For solid wood, you must true 2 adjoining faces before cutting on a tablesaw, you WILL have an accident if you do. Maybe not the first time or the 400th time but it will eventually happen. So you need a jointer before a tablesaw.

You can also use a planer as a jointer, although edge jointing is limited to the planer capacity (most are 6"), But a router in a router table can be set up for edge jointing.

If I were going to buy the tools you need I would get them in this order
    Planer
    Jointer
    Router
    Tablesaw
    Drum Sander
    Domino

If you use a lot of sheet goods you may consider a track saw. I am amazed at how well they work.

If moneys an issue Spend about 200 on some hand planes and learn to use them. I use mine as much as my power tools and for a majority of operations the are just as fast or faster.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    You may not need all the room that a full-size table saw takes up either.
    There are some nice portables that fold up and get out of the way easily. They are not meant to break down full-size sheet goods but can do that duty too with the right peripheral equipment.
    In particular, the Saw Stop Jobsite saw or the Bosch Reaxx. Both have blade stop technology. I am considering the Reaxx myself. Your router can break down full-size sheets too.
    Then make sure all of your equipment is on wheels. Lots of other small shop space saving ideas out there.
    Thanks LeeWay... I am eyeing the Sawstop contractor saw. Also planning on making my CNC mobile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Jointer and planer made a lot of projects possible for me. I don't even have a table saw setup.
    Thanks...may end up with Dewalt 735 along with a tablesaw...

For solid wood, you must true 2 adjoining faces before cutting on a tablesaw, you WILL have an accident if you do. Maybe not the first time or the 400th time but it will eventually happen. So you need a jointer before a tablesaw.

You can also use a planer as a jointer, although edge jointing is limited to the planer capacity (most are 6"), But a router in a router table can be set up for edge jointing.
    I think the jointer is the one most easily replaced by the CNC, if your CNC has the capacity.

Yes, some people prefer using a bandsaw to a tablesaw. I have both, and rarely use the bandsaw for anything. Never for straight cuts.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I think the jointer is the one most easily replaced by the CNC, if your CNC has the capacity.

Yes, some people prefer using a bandsaw to a tablesaw. I have both, and rarely use the bandsaw for anything. Never for straight cuts.
    That's what I was thinking regarding the jointer...thus my leaning towards a tablesaw and planer.

While some operations may not be as 'convenient' to do on a CNC as opposed to stationary tools, you'd have to consider the frequency of using said tools in a purchase.

That said, I do like the table saw because it is a very versatile machine. Though if you're going to be breaking down sheet goods it's best to have an outfeed table. You could make a rolling workbench with locking casters, and thus have a multi-purpose table. You can easily make a jig for straightening out board edges, and blades today are good enough to give a tight glue edge. Plus the other joinery work you can do, like finger joints, splines, tongue and groove, tenons... as well as the ability to use molding head cutters, give it a versatility over other tools. Do yourself a favor if possible and find a local lumber yard where you can buy lumber D2S or even D4S; the place I go to also has a large planer, jointer, straight-line ripper, and radial arm saw and the price they give me to mill down lumber is cheap enough that I don't need to own any of those tools. I do own a few hand planes that I use to touch up edges as necessary.

That sais, as others mentioned, a track saw is amazing, and you don't need to man-handle sheet goods. It's nice to break down sheets right on the stack.

There is not a single thing I can think of that you can't do on a router without any of those tools. Biscuit joints with a Tslot cutter. Planing with a fly cutter. Jointing happens no matter what. Table say not needed. Bandsaw, don't need it but they are sure nice to have for small quick cuts. Maybe the only thing I would miss is a belt sander and spindle sander.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    There is not a single thing I can think of that you can't do on a router without any of those tools. Biscuit joints with a Tslot cutter. Planing with a fly cutter. Jointing happens no matter what. Table say not needed. Bandsaw, don't need it but they are sure nice to have for small quick cuts. Maybe the only thing I would miss is a belt sander and spindle sander.
    Thanks for the reply... I have a spindle sander but do miss my drum sander.

We do a lot of ripping and bevel cutting of polycarbonate and occasionally wood.
    Just the ease of use for the volume we use makes the table saw a must have for us. And it happens to have excellent dust collection.
    Lee

There is not a single thing I can think of that you can't do on a router without any of those tools.
    And you can drive screws with a hammer, if you wanted to. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, or that it will be efficient.

A CNC Router is a tool, and quite often, it's not the best tool for a given job.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I don't do a lot of woodwork with mine but, the last time I did, I'll admit: whilst the router was going through layer by layer I was thinking "sh1t, I could have had this done two hours ago with the old table saw and we're not even halfway through yet!".

That said, for the given space in the shed, I have an extremely versatile - if not always optimally speedy and efficient - tool.

If you're doing a lot with full sheets and room is at a premium it might be worth looking at a vertical panel saw - I picked up a Safety Speed Cut "Panel Pro" a few years ago only because the the deal was too ridiculously good to pass on. Don't use it much, it just sits up against one wall in the carport. But whenever I need to cut sheet down to size (usually to feed the router) it's so damned convenient to have it there.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    I can imagine how much fun it must be to set up for biscuits on a CNC if you don't have vacuum pods and time to set up and adjust some g-code. For a large batch of parts, maybe. I also can't imagine how much fun I'd have removing tooling marks after trying to plane a board with a fly cutter. Profile cuts on a router usually puts a slight glaze on the surface that, if one was picky about joinery as I sometimes am, would need further processing, unless maybe it's a paint-grade job. When I had a band saw, it was indispensable for removing waste material before further processing. Believe me, I started out working for a guy who would leave me on a job without tools, and I would do things like use a chop saw to cope 7" wide crown molding (DON'T TRY THAT AT HOME...) If I could only pick one stationary tool it would be my CNC. But if the goal is to have some kind of productivity it's far better to have dedicated tools, because it makes for more efficiency. I know a few luthiers who own 30-40 routers, each one set up for a specific job and a specific fixture or template, because setup time can be very tedious if you have to break down and recalibrate fixtures and router depths. Most of us don't have such "luxuries" though for me, most my stuff is one-off with wood, so it's not as much of a hassle for me.

As for a table saw - there are many cool things that can be done to make it more versatile. One great thing would be to replace or modify the right side table extension, so that a router can be mounted underneath. The table now has multiple uses. I had set up a contractor's saw for this, and even made an attachment to mount a jigsaw upside-down. Doesn't replace a band saw but still very useful. You can even make large cove moldings on a table saw pretty easily.

I believe Ron Steele of Solsylva fame made a CNC table with an attachment for a circular saw, so he can use his CNC as a panel saw.