584,829 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > EMCO CNC Machines > Compact 5 Rebuild, Steppers, Boards, Mach 3

Compact 5 Rebuild, Steppers, Boards, Mach 3

I keep seeing on YouTube a lot of videos by guys who have rebuilt their Compact 5's with new steppers, boards and software. However, none of them have the generosity of spirit which inclines them to tell me what steppers and boards they are using. I'm thinking of replacing the ballscrews as well. I'm looking for a list for a complete overhaul which will allow me to run my lathe with Mach 3 software. I have zero understanding of electricity, and I'm afraid that I'll short out and, or fry some expensive board upon startup.
    Does anyone have a complete list of what I'll need to do the job and a list of suppliers and possibly a cost estimate? I don't want to reinvent the wheel here, I just want to gather the necessities, assemble them and run.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Compact 5 Rebuild, Steppers, Boards, Mach 3

Is the lathe complete ? if so then check out this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/emco-l...-software.html . The linuxcnc works great and no mods necessary
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Re: Compact 5 Rebuild, Steppers, Boards, Mach 3

you can also check http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...-software.html

you will need cheap BOB, 2 stepper motors, 2 stepper drivers and power supply, some wires and you are good to go. Before you purchase the motors and power supply, do a search to find the power supply that suits your steppers, so you can get the most out of them without stalling (for instance, for the steppers I bought, 60 V power source would be the best solution, instead of 48 V that I purchased).