585,974 active members*
4,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SolidCAM for SolidWorks and SolidCAM for Inventor > Operation>Transformation>Rotate .. G-Code issue

Operation>Transformation>Rotate .. G-Code issue

Hello,

I'm working with mill/turn for a lathe and most of my work is on the faces of the part (0,90,180,270 of a 41x41x900mm part). I'm having an issue when rotating operations to work on each face.

For example if I start at 0 and use the rotate option in transformation to rotate the a-axis by 90 degrees for each operation, the G-code will spit out (0,-90,180,90) instead of 0,90,180,270.

It seems to work when using 4-axis rotation with a single rotation for each operation but I don't use that at the moment (I pretty sure it also has an issue I'm not happy with but I can't remember it at this time).

Any input would be very helpful. If what I've said isn't clear, just let me know and I'll try to clarify the problem.

Regards

Re: Operation>Transformation>Rotate .. G-Code issue

It should be the post issue . Check your GPP file

I'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to the post processor to be honest. I think the machine manufacturer outsource the writing of that and to be honest getting them to add something can be a bit of a pain. The only file I could see that was relevant was one with the machine name, but it's a GPX file and when I open it in notepad it's just garbled symbols. There's also a machine ID file with the same file name but it opens in a solidcam window.

Is there a specific gpp file I should be looking for? cos I have a folder with about 20 of them in it that I'm not sure if solid cam is actually using.

I'm most likely missing something here.

Open your part in solidcam, then right click on the cam-part at top of tree and say "cam part definition". There's a drop down for CNC-Machine, that's where you chose what post it's using.

Technically if you want to rotate a toolpath around the A axis you should be using the "4 axis transform command". If you are using the Rotate Transform command and you have chosen the A axis to rotate about then you can assign the indexing angle to be either 90 or -90 degrees. If you are not getting the rotational direction you are looking for then switch the indexing angle to the negative and the A axis rotation will go the other way.