584,808 active members*
5,242 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > USA Club House > I need help finding something in comparison to Laguna Smart Shop II CNC Router

I need help finding something in comparison to Laguna Smart Shop II CNC Router

So I am looking to get into the CNC business with a friend of mine. I am all about computers, Cad designs and custom wood working. I have been restoring and building custom 80's arcades by hand and I am looking to get a solution that will cut most of my time down.

I have been talking to Laguna, and they basically offered me a Smart Shop 2 4x8 system for about $43,900, but before I go blowing out the cost of a new SUV I want to make sure I am getting a Cadillac vs a Kia. who are some other manufacturers to compare with?

Any help out there?

Re: I need help finding something in comparison to Laguna Smart Shop II CNC Router

Hi ,

Where are you located ?
    I think you can buy much better machines with that price.

I am in Los Angeles .

Re: I need help finding something in comparison to Laguna Smart Shop II CNC Router

Unscathed,
    Firs things, you need to do the CAD and CAM side before the machine,
    Hang around someone who had been there done this.
    43k and then what ????
    Have the program, fixtures and materials ready and set-up for when the machine is production accepted,
    There is plenty of preparatory work before the lease clock starts. Be production ready off - line..
    I have made chips and money before the machine service mans car leaves.

So I am looking to get into the CNC business with a friend of mine. I am all about computers, Cad designs and custom wood working. I have been restoring and building custom 80's arcades by hand and I am looking to get a solution that will cut most of my time down.
    If you don't already have a business that is profitable enough to pay for the machine, then chances are, you won't have it after you get the machine.
    I've seen many people buy CNC machines for the purpose of starting a business. Most of them fail.
    CNC's can make existing businesses more profitable, but they don't make money out of thin air.

Without detailed specs, it's hard to know what you are actually getting. All that quote really tells you is what the spindle is.

Laguna machines are imported from China, I believe. For a comparable American made machine, look at a Camaster Cobra Eite.

To be honest, if you don't already have an existing business, then I think that machine is overkill for what you will be doing with it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Laguna is in chaos at the moment. I tried to buy three machines from them and the sales force only called once and never got back to me when I wanted to get the machines. My neighbor has two of them and they are spotty for support. They just import Chinese machines and slap their sticker on it.

Why not get used? Whatever you get make sure you get a tool changer.