584,817 active members*
4,701 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal 4020 ATC turret Failure CCW only
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Fadal 4020 ATC turret Failure CCW only

As promised, heres a quick clip of the problem
    https://youtu.be/YOWNPDpr3oY

I did reverse the motor and encoder wiring and as I suspected, the problem direction reversed. That is to say, the problem was still happening when I pressed the CCW button but the turret was spinning in CW direction.

Problem is now definitely isolated to the electrical end and not a overcurrent trip due to mechanical binding.

Options:

1- bypass the current sense transformer on the turret amp card
    2- replace all capacitors on amp card
    3- replace output transistors on amp card

Anyone have any better ideas?
    I really don't want to go and buy a $2500 replacement amplifier card and have it not solve the problem.

Sir,

It appears that the carousel doesn't know where it is at and getting lost. You likely have a bad encoder on the motor of your turret control. You can try removing it and cleaning it up and if all fails, I would replace the motor. Let me know if I can help further.

FadalCNC.com

Just talking to a Fadal service tech, he worked at Fadal for 25+ years. I showed him your video he said try cleaning the encoder But he also said if that's not it he sees that the wires entering the toolchanger at the connector and conduit-flex. All that motion can break a wire which makes sense if you reversed it and it changed the problem direction. You are having an intermittent fail because the wire is broken but still making contact. I would pull new wires to the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by rodney247 View Post
    Just talking to a Fadal service tech, he worked at Fadal for 25+ years. I showed him your video he said try cleaning the encoder But he also said if that's not it he sees that the wires entering the toolchanger at the connector and conduit-flex. All that motion can break a wire which makes sense if you reversed it and it changed the problem direction. You are having an intermittent fail because the wire is broken but still making contact. I would pull new wires to the motor.
    Thanks, Rodney and Tech, for the tip. Changed all wiring to turret with continuous flex rated shielded wiring, Machine seems to jog turret flawlessly at this point, time will tell.

Upon machine start, I received the following messages

I did not remove or disconect anything from the machine other than the Turret Amp card, although, to be fair, it was unhooked for eight weeks or so.
    I followed on-screen Instructions, entered setp, received another message that there are no parameters stored and machine will use default settings.

Would not powering the machine up for several months cause this?

My machinist did take pictures of all setp menu screens and is currently looking for them (fingers crossed)

resetting the parameters on a Fadal are probably the easiest in the industry even Today.... Just go thru the questions and answer. The defaults will be close but things like size of machine , high torque or not,, rigid tapping... still pretty easy.... Your Battery on the Main CPU may have gone bad (the purple battery) easy to change if you have a soldering iron.. And wont need to be changed for another 5-10 years

Page 2 of 2 12