10 16.95%
  • UCCNC

26 44.07%
  • Linux CNC

23 38.98%
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Mach 3/4 vs UCCNC vs Linux CNC

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Maybe, depends on whether a $5 eBay chinesium breakout works with their card, and whether their card (for crossing over convenience) supports Mach3.

But yeah, next machine for sure will take a much closer look at this.
    You can use most parallel port breakouts with any of Mesa's 25 pin I/O motion control cards including the 7I92.
    You do need compatible firmware that matches the BOBs pinout, for example the 7I92 has these parallel port
    compatible configurations available now:

7i92_5ABOBx2D For 2X $5 5 axis Ebay BOB
    7i92_5ABOB_Enc For 1X $5 5 axis Ebay BOB + 5 encoders w index on second connector
    7i92_BENEZANx2D For Benezan triple beast
    7i92_C11x2D For CNC4PC C11 (old version with PFM spindle)
    7i92_C11Gx2D For CNC4PC C11G (newer version with PWM spindle)
    7i92_DMMBOB1x2D For DMM breakout
    7i92_G540x2D For Gecko G540
    7i92_MX3660x2D For LeadShine MX3660
    7i92_MX4660x2D For LeadShine MX4660
    7i92_R990x2D For Rutex R990 BOB

Different configurations can be created easily by changing one pinout file and re-compiling

Thanks for that. Going to stay with my UC400ETH for now, but next machine or next upgrade I'm definitely keeping this one in mind.

Yeah, caught that on the other thread. Thanks for making and sharing the video, samco - it's nice to see these things in context which is hard to portray from an online catalogue.

CSMIO/IP users can test simCNC control software full version for free for 30 days up to 3 months if they need it.

It would be great to know your opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...852DLXecwDDQGg

https://en.cs-lab.eu/shop-cat/cnc-mo...trol-software/

all development on Mach3 ceased five years ago. Lots of people still use it, it is one of the most popular Windows CNC programs
    after all. The trouble is that its getting dated, what problems it has will not be fixed.
    Today, it is easier to get mach3 board. Look at usb cnc mach3, ethernet cnc mach3. They all have various accessories such as handwheel and cheap and easy to set up. I have 1 ea usb cnc with handwheel, I have tried it on my lathe. Easy to wire and set up, so far I do not have problem with windows 10. But I also worried with my windows10, it is auto update.

I used Linux for years before building my machine.I bought a kit that included a really basic BOB which was intended for Mach 3-or so it said.I took no notice and made the connections that run the stepper controllers.It works.My reasoning was that the controllers see pulses that are converted to steps or micro-steps.The controllers do not have the ability to ask what operating system the computer is running,it is their function to send electric pulses to the steppers.The setup screen asks how many pulses per unit of travel for each axis and what functions are assigned to the connections on the BOB.As long as the BOB receives the correct voltage it should work and so should the machine.

The LinuxCNC community doesn't expend too much effort on being accessible,which is a great shame as there is a lot of knowledge there.It almost seems to be a matter of pride to make things harder than they need to be as a way to weed out the less hardcore enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    The LinuxCNC community doesn't expend too much effort on being accessible,which is a great shame as there is a lot of knowledge there.It almost seems to be a matter of pride to make things harder than they need to be as a way to weed out the less hardcore enthusiasts.
    You must be looking in the wrong place. there is a very active Linxcnc forum and users really go out of their way to help newcomers. Linuxcnc is a large and versatile system developed over many years. The quality of the documentation once you know where it is (there is a link from the home page). Its certainly a lot simpler to install today then when I started 4 years ago.

There is a vast array of hardware and some of the complex retrofits done with it are amazing. Yes its complex but its worth taking the journey.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Page 2 of 2 12