585,763 active members*
4,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question wiring for stepper

Hi, Can anyone please help me figure out which wires to use to connect my stepper motor to my driver. The driver has green(A), white(A-), black(B) and red(B-) wires from it and the amperage can be adjusted from a minimum of 0.7 and up with dip switches.
    The steppers label says:

brother
    BH-100-42-34-X
    L210803
    127S80363 H
    made in Japan
    and has red, yellow, blue and white wires from it. Can anyone tell me how to hook it up properly? Is there a way to use an ampmeter to figure it out? How much power should it take?

Thanks, Peter

Hi,

To work out which wire is which; take a multi meter and set to read resistance. Next test two of your wires from your stepper, if you get a reading then the two wires you tested are one coil and the other two are the other coil. If you did not get a reading then pair each of the wires you tested with the other two and they will be your pairs.

Next wire one pair to A and A- and the other pair to B and B- on your drive if the stepper runs the wrong direction change one pair over so say change A to A- and A- to A.

I do not have the details of the stepper so can not give you the information for current settings. Hopefully some one else will have the information.

EDIT: I should have said test the other wires until you get a reading to pair up the wires. Sorry about that. :END EDIT

John
    www.cnckitsandbits.co.uk

Hi John,

Thanks for the info.

I used the multi meter to test the wires and hooked them up to the driver on the lowest setting of .7 amps. When I jogged the motor using the keyboard the motor just hummed and the spindle vibrated but did not turn. When I tapped the jog keys it would turn a step or two. Does this mean that it works ok? Does the software program send pulses to the driver like the way I tapped it? I guess I should test it with a simple pattern and see if that works.
    I'm using millmaster from microkinetics and the motor is being used on a homemade rotary attachment.

Thanks , Peter

Hi again,

What setting have you got for jog and do the steppers lock up ok?

What seems a long time ago now I remember thinking that I had wired my steppers up incorrectly as when I tried to jog the axis the stepper motor seemed to just sit there and buzz. I then realised I had the jog speed set to low and it was moving so slowly I could not see it.

John
    www.cnckitsandbits.co.uk

Hi,
    I never considered the jog speed. I went and took a look and it is set at 8 "steps per tap" Should it be more,and if so,what? Should i crank it up to say,50 and see what happens? I'm a little nervous because, learning the hard way,I've already burnt out the original motor and its replacement!

I really appreciate your input.

Thanks, Peter

Hi again,

I forgot to ask what you meant by the steppers locking up. Is that when they become solid after the power is turned on? If so I'll have to check next time i hook it up for a test.

Thanks, Peter

Yes steppers locking up does mean they become solid after applying power.

Not sure what software or drives you are using and how you have it all set up but 8 steps/ tap is equal to only 7.2 degrees if your set for full step and only 3.6 degrees at half step so on and so on. So if you are say set for 8 micro steps you will hardly see any thing move and the motors will sound like they are just buzzing.

So if the motors are locking up set the jog to say 200 just for test purposes or run some gcode and see what happens. You can reset your jog speed after you set everything up and you know what you want for jog.

John
    www.cnckitsandbits.co.uk

Hi,

IT WORKED!!! THANK YOU!!!!

I set the jog steps to 200 and used the multimeter to figure out which wire was which. When I turned on the power the motor locked up and turned when jogged. It's so nice to take a step forward for a change.

Thanks , Peter

Good to hear it.

Have you found anything for your current settings?

John
    www.cnckitsandbits.co.uk

Talking

Hi,

I've been using .7 amps for the motor and it seems to work ok.
    I have a secondhand "express mill" from Microkinetics(.com)
    The software is millmaster pro and the drivers are the DR8010 which can be seen on the website.

Now that I know how to set up the motor and unlocked the secrets of the jog steps I've decided to buy a new motor from Lin Engineering.

(www.linengineering.com//site/products/4109.html)

The original motor which I ruined was from there, it fits onto the "harmonic drive" gear unit better and the shaft is the right size for the key which joins it to the gear unit. I called Mindy Lin and she said that .7 amps will run the motor just fine and that it would be the right speed and torque. This mystery motor that you helped me figure out was purchased at a second hand electrontics parts store and although it could have been used to fit it would have been a chore a bit beyond my limited experience. Knowing about the jog steps and understanding the multimeter is big move forward for me.

It is being used for a rotary attachment and the harmonic drive has a gear reduction ratio of 160:1. Once I get the motor hooked up with the right amps I guess my next challenge will be to configure it with the software and to measure how many steps in a 360 rotation.

My enthusiasm greatly outstrips my knowledge.

Thanks, Peter