584,842 active members*
4,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach 4 and Pokeys57cnc

I'm having some unexplained issue with mach 4 and pokeys57cnc. I am using pokeys60-256 drivers and cables. Motors will not enable. I've installed, uninstalled latewst versions of mach4 and plugin and followed directions, but cannot get motors active or to move within mach4. Individual testing of drivers produce expected, working results. Within mach 4, drivers are seen through I2C and correctly show voltage , temps, ect. Configuration looks correct as outlined in manual. When I enable Mach 4 to jog, there is no signal or voltage being sent to motors. I would guess the signal is not being received or being redirected by pokeys. I've had this working before and cant understand what i may be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrd717 View Post
    I'm having some unexplained issue with mach 4 and pokeys57cnc. I am using pokeys60-256 drivers and cables. Motors will not enable. I've installed, uninstalled latewst versions of mach4 and plugin and followed directions, but cannot get motors active or to move within mach4. Individual testing of drivers produce expected, working results. Within mach 4, drivers are seen through I2C and correctly show voltage , temps, ect. Configuration looks correct as outlined in manual. When I enable Mach 4 to jog, there is no signal or voltage being sent to motors. I would guess the signal is not being received or being redirected by pokeys. I've had this working before and cant understand what i may be missing.
    So I've solved my issue. A slight oversize on my part and some time since I had originally tested device.
    BOTH the ext. Cable and individual motor cables need connected. In newer pokeys literature this is not stated directly(older pokey57cnc manual does) and pictures in manual(new step by step) are less than clear.
    Also had a issue with motor noise and jerkiness. This was solved by using dedicated Ethernet port and cat6 cable instead of usb. Even though drivers were updated and otherwise operating correctly for anything else, it was not playing nice with pokeys.

Re: Mach 4 and Pokeys57cnc

Hi, not to any help, but saw that we have the same controller, but what setup do you have? How big a power supply and which stepper motors? I have a Pokeys57cnc too, but with the smaller postep25-30 drivers. Three small Nema23 (4 leads, up to 2A. For Y and Z) motors and one big (8 leads, up to 2,8A. For X) and wondering if my power supply (24V-10A) is too small, to run all motors close to their max current. And what settings have you set your drivers and mach4 to?

Quote Originally Posted by tangi View Post
    Hi, not to any help, but saw that we have the same controller, but what setup do you have? How big a power supply and which stepper motors? I have a Pokeys57cnc too, but with the smaller postep25-30 drivers. Three small Nema23 (4 leads, up to 2A. For Y and Z) motors and one big (8 leads, up to 2,8A. For X) and wondering if my power supply (24V-10A) is too small, to run all motors close to their max current. And what settings have you set your drivers and mach4 to?
    Depending on your use, 36v or 48v power supply. I'm actually looking to add a second pokeys57cnc for a lathe conversion now and going to be utilizing nema 23 steppers or clearpath servos.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrd717 View Post
    Depending on your use, 36v or 48v power supply. I'm actually looking to add a second pokeys57cnc for a lathe conversion now and going to be utilizing nema 23 steppers or clearpath servos.
    Ahh cool, it was my plan too to upgrade it with a lathe. But thought that one pokeys57cnc would be enough for that, because it supports up to 8 motors? My cnc is running now, but for it to be strong, it has to run really slow, so wondering if a bigger power supply could get the speed up while still maintaining it to be strong (torch).