584,817 active members*
5,124 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > EMCO CNC Machines > EMCO Lathe > Emco Turn 55 Spindle motor LENZE 8200 VFD Inverter help

Emco Turn 55 Spindle motor LENZE 8200 VFD Inverter help

Dear all

Hope someone can help.

My Emco Turn 55 had not been used for over 5 years. I finally got round to starting it. When executing a cutting program, the XZ and toolchanger all worked as programmed but the lathe will give a high pitch whine that last for maybe 1-2 seconds or so and then an error message pops up to say "no main spindle speed".

I took out the back panel to check on the Lenze 8200 Inverter Drive. When I switch on the PC Turn, immediately the Lenze Inverter Green LED started blinking and continue to blink nonstop. It will go solid green when it tried to execute the M3 code and whine. Once the whine stopped, it goes back to blinking.

I downloaded Lenze manual and it said that it could be "Motor parameter identification being executed" or it could be "Controller Inhibited". I am not sure what either of that means. Could it be that the spindle motor parameter has to be reentered into the Lenze because the memory for the spindle motor was lost?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    frank

Re: Emco Turn 55 Spindle motor LENZE 8200 VFD Inverter help

Hi mate,
    I doubt the parameters have been lost, I work with these drives a fair bit, never really had one lose its memory.
    Do you have the plug in keypad / lcd module on the drive? You'll be able to find the last few fault codes with it.
    Also what is the i/o module in use on the drive - pics are good.

The funny thing is the drive / motor is making noise - if the controller was inhibited the (no run signal from control, depending on wiring) there would be no output to create noise.
    The solid green light tells me the is a run signal from control, noise tells me there is an output.
    could be a NFG drive, or could be a mechanical problem, can you turn the chuck by hand, is the brake releasing etc....
    The drive could be programmed for a very conservative output, which may not trigger a fault condition in the lenze.

Did you ever get this fixed. Sounds like an adjustment issue with your spindle encoder under the left panel by the pulley. There is slotted philips bolts in there to adjust the pickup from the reluctor wheel. Or a bad encoder.