585,665 active members*
3,011 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Pics of straight splines machined on multus, one with hob cutter, the other was done with a skive...

Here is a pic of the taper spline kicking my butt. Currently sending these out to be done on a "universal" type hobbing machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170829_135221.jpg  

Re: Diagonal Hobbing

Hi Corey, how did Gleason recommend to cut these Splines? I have some experience with gear cutting on "universal" machines, my Multus does not have the gear option.
    It looks to me that you have to move in X-Y-Z at same time to get the tapered bottom? Not sure that the Okuma "gui" can do that since that is a little special even on universal machines.
    Is it possible to engage synchronization on the two spindles and long hand program it from there?

Best regards Master8laster

Is it possible to engage synchronization on the two spindles and long hand program it from there?
    hi, it should work : if you can deliver the operation without restart/corections, then a simple long-hand should work

to achieve repetability on same part ( offset corection, restart, etc ), then the special function is required, in order to sync the rotary M-S phases; another benefit of the special function is the " custom behaviour " during feed-hold, that avoids stopping the tool inside the material, by using a clearance position / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

hi master blaster, another method, to deliver the part, without buying the special function, is only to rough it, then to finish it using the C axis + another tool (1 or more) that are not gear hobs; using c axis to program this, has a big chance to deliver a discontinuous motion, that may damage larger tools, like hobs eg

it takes longer, requires C axis code ( which is not common ), and using the probe ( or another method ) to locate C axis zero ( which requires custom probe calibration, and may not work, since the contact point will not be alinged with the probe moving direction, and this is a problem when probing tilted surfaces, unless you have a probe for such things, or you know how to use a 'normal' probe; or use a 3d taster, calibrated, and tested on tilted surfaces ) / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by master8laster View Post
    Hi Corey, how did Gleason recommend to cut these Splines? I have some experience with gear cutting on "universal" machines, my Multus does not have the gear option.
    It looks to me that you have to move in X-Y-Z at same time to get the tapered bottom? Not sure that the Okuma "gui" can do that since that is a little special even on universal machines.

Best regards Master8laster
    Gleason was a disappointment. They wouldn't even talk to me about it. When I try to long hand the x move it wipes the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by coreywadeadams View Post
    Gleason was a disappointment. They wouldn't even talk to me about it. When I try to long hand the x move it wipes the teeth.
    So you programmed an X-Y-Z move?
    I have never seen this type of spline before to be honest, but its the only way I can see it being machined.
    I'd probably start with a piece of plastic and dial it in, that hob is not cheap.

hello i want to do this
    taper hob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tMFFNpVaxU
    macnine doosan puma tt2500sy

for doosan puma tt2500 sy

Page 3 of 3 123