584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

SL25-MC5 Turret problem

I am having an issue with the turret. It is not clamping at 2 tool stations. The turret was taken off as the machine crashed. The turret was taken off and replaced and the tool stations that did not clamp changed (it started with problems at 9 and 10 then moved to 3 and 4). I read one post that the O-ring on the mounting place caused this problem but the surface has been cleaned thoroughly. Does anyone know any mechanical issues that would cause that?

Re: SL25-MC5 Turret problem

I was looking at it again today. The turret rotates a bit while it clamps at the other stations. Is that normal or is it in the wrong position but close enough to clamp?

Will it clamp with all the holders off? Out of balance too far can cause this. The turret may rotate a small amount when clamping, but if a lot, the switch dogs on the rear need to be adjusted, or whoever put the coupling back in didn't do it correctly.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I just had the one small boring bar holder on it. I don't think the weight would be an issue. It looks like it is out quite a bit. The switch dogs would make sense, I will check that out. Is there a manual that goes over adjusting that? The maintenance manual does not seem to cover that.

Do I just have to adjust the home position in parameters? I can get it to lock at most positions. Or is it a mechanical issue, I am not sure how the indexing works.

Do the dogs determine the turret index points or is that caused by a timer or belt and then the dogs and switches ensure that the turret is actually in the right position?

I don't think the couplings are the problem because they were not taken off. They just had the taper pins removed. Does anyone know what the gap between the turret head and the base is supposed to be when the turret is clamped. Maybe the head did not seat far enough? Sorry this thread is a little messy, I am just thinking aloud. Once I find the problem it will probably be obvious.

I have been adjusting the dogs in the back and it seems to be fixing the problem. Is there a specific way to adjust them or is it just a matter of fiddling with them until it works? Thanks for the suggestion of adjusting the dogs.

Just adjusting them. Also, make sure the turret is tight on the front shaft, not sure if your model has bolts to the clamp piston, or a large nut. There is no home position to adjust, it's the old style hydraulic driven turret.

The turret has the nut. Thanks for the clarification on the indexing. It looked like it was just hydraulic but it is nice to get conformation. It seems to be a little rougher on one side of the turret than the other but I guess it won't be perfect after its accident. I guess I will just have to check the accuracy and see if it is tolerable. Thanks for the help.

The lathe has been working good for a bit with no accuracy issues. The other day it stopped indexing again. I think one of the proximity switches must be faulty. There are 5 switches from what I can tell 2 of the switches determine if the turret is in or out. The other 3 seem to be for determining the rotational position of the turret. I am assuming that the turret in switch is at fault as the turret seems to be clamped but the machine does not think it is. On the machine ladder the A-phase is active when the machine appears to be clamped so I assume that is the phase when a tool station is lined up. I used the A-phase signal in the ladder diagram to test one of the rotational switches, and I assume I could use it and the B-phase ladders to verify the other rotational switches are working. Does anyone know what lines in the ladder can be used to determine if the In and out switches are working properly?

I will play around with it a bit and hopefully not mess it up too badly.

I could not get the B-phase signal to activate when rotating the turret. There are 2 sensors that are out of phase when the turret attempts to clamp. Which one is responsible for the signal?

Quote Originally Posted by Hepha3stus View Post
    I could not get the B-phase signal to activate when rotating the turret. There are 2 sensors that are out of phase when the turret attempts to clamp. Which one is responsible for the signal?
    Ladder is a pia to find the faulty switch. You have two switches, unclamp and clamp that face the z axis. The other 3 are a b and z. In the electrical print, it will show the switches and the x input bit to check them. I usually index the turret on those, and the second it starts to rotate, hit emergency stop. Then you should be able to manually rotate the turret and watch the inputs. Switches should have a label on the wire corresponding to the print. Replacements will be new 2 wire switches, and hope for the correct part number. Btdt.

I ordered some switches I got some Omron TL-M2ME2 switches that seem to be a newer version of the original switches. They are obsolete as well, but there are still some new ones floating round ebay. I just got them today so hopefully I will get it working.

I think all the switches are working right now. But the clamp switch (X1006.3) only works when the machine is reset. Once the switch looses signal it will not activate again. The wires go back to a board called A829168B in the cabinet, but I am unsure what that board does with the signals. If I reset the board by removing then replacing the plug the clamp switch works as well. I don't get why the ladder would not light up if the switch is getting a signal though.

The new switches I ordered only supplied 6 volts instead of 24. I will have to add a pull-up resistor to make them work.

I still don't get why it will index at some positions and not others. Everything should be the same for every tool post except position 1 which is not causing me any problems. As far as I can tell 2 switches B and D tell the machine which direction the turret is rotating. A counts the tool positions and tells the machine when the turret is aligned for clamping. Z is used to zero the machine at tool post 1. The final switch is used to tell if the machine clamped fully. I have been trying it again with the old switches but no luck so far. I think it may be a mechanical issue at this point.

#1 mechanical issue is large center nut not tight enough. Must be tightened with the turret unclamped. Then really cranked down.

The nut could be the problem. It looks like the turret will not move out far enough right now. When I tighten the nut it does not look like it will push the turret all the way onto the splines, it bottoms out first on that ring next to the splines. Is there a way to get it to come out farther, get that ring to go in more, or does the nut push that ring in as you tighten it?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am definitely not the best at machine maintenance.

I tried mounting the head again and I don't think the nut is going in far enough. I think the nut has to move in about 80 thou. Right now the lock screw is sitting about 10 thou farther out than the shaft. I think this might be why it is not fully clamping. When the machine clamps there is about 0.175 between the rotating turret head and the stationary part. Does anyone know what the distance should be when it is properly clamped down? I can't really get the nut any tighter either as the turret just rotates.

Hi

I have a Mori seiki SL-25 MC5 with Moric F-T6 controller from 1996 year and it loosed all data including PLC. Anyone has a full back up that can supply me to solve this problem? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12