584,874 active members*
5,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

IH axis adjustment

Beginner could use some guidance in taking the play out of one of my axis. I completed the setup of my mill and was running some test code when I realized the gear on my Y axis had loosened up and backed out. When I tightened it back I was not able to take all the play out as it had been prior to. I guess I got lucky on initial setup. I can turn the gear/ballscrew from 12:00 to about 1:30 before the table will move. I tightened (way too tight) the preload on the ballscew and took most of it out but it is difficult to turn the axis by hand.
    Thanks for any help,
    Shepard

Do you have the IH CNC kit? If you grab a hold of the pulley on the end of the ballscrew can you move push/pull it in and out even just a little? I wonder if you got the spacers that slip onto the ball screw turned around... you know... put the little one were the larger one should be and vice-versus. Or, perhaps the bolts on y-axis that hold the retainer on... you know the bolts with the bevel washers, are not tight enough (just a little goes a long ways). There were spacers that were included in the kit that I received that went under the retainer... did you receive/use those?

Just some ideas... hope they are along the right path.

Thanks for the pointers. I also spoke with Gene from IHm, a really nice guy, who gave me a few ideas.
    So far everything seems assembled properly but I'm obviously overlooking something. I hope I figure it out before I disassemble the whole thing during the search.

I fixed it. I don't know how. I just reassembled the axis and now its happy.