584,817 active members*
4,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > NEW DIY CNC WOOD ROUTER SPINDLE HOOKUP

Unhappy NEW DIY CNC WOOD ROUTER SPINDLE HOOKUP

Hello Everyone,
    First time here. I have been building a new CNC wood router for my home shop. It is approx. 5' by 8.5' I have used rack and pinion on X and Y axis's and a ballscrew on the Z axis. All axis's are moved by Teknic Clearpath SD motors. The spindle is a UGRA air cooled spindle motor with a DELTA M vfd. I am using Windows 7 PRO, MACH 3 and a C23 board with smoothstepper with Ethernet connection.
    Now for my trouble....I cannot figure out the hookup for the VFD to run the spindle. All parameters at set in the VFD for using 0-10 volt AVI and GRD. The NO relay for MO and GRD, However I never get the 0-10 volt out of the board to command the VFD. I have Configured the Mach 3 Ports and Pins / Sindle setup to Output #1 for both M3 and M4. Also have turned on the outputs for port 1 and pins 14 (0-10 volt output pin) and 16 (NO relay) but no output out of the board to run the VFD. I have tried everything. I really need some help here. Thank You very much in advance.

Re: NEW DIY CNC WOOD ROUTER SPINDLE HOOKUP

Quote Originally Posted by forbri40 View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    First time here. I have been building a new CNC wood router for my home shop. It is approx. 5' by 8.5' I have used rack and pinion on X and Y axis's and a ballscrew on the Z axis. All axis's are moved by Teknic Clearpath SD motors. The spindle is a UGRA air cooled spindle motor with a DELTA M vfd. I am using Windows 7 PRO, MACH 3 and a C23 board with smoothstepper with Ethernet connection.
    Now for my trouble....I cannot figure out the hookup for the VFD to run the spindle. All parameters at set in the VFD for using 0-10 volt AVI and GRD. The NO relay for MO and GRD, However I never get the 0-10 volt out of the board to command the VFD. I have Configured the Mach 3 Ports and Pins / Sindle setup to Output #1 for both M3 and M4. Also have turned on the outputs for port 1 and pins 14 (0-10 volt output pin) and 16 (NO relay) but no output out of the board to run the VFD. I have tried everything. I really need some help here. Thank You very much in advance.

Have you followed the C23 manual, it uses step/dir signal to create the 0-10 out put, the board needs 12v also, check the smooth stepper setup also

You will have to have the 0-10v working at the board output, plus one of the relays to switch the M0 and GND to make it work, plus the correct Parameter set in the VFD
    Mactec54