Hi All,
I was recently given a RoboTool CVM-1 mill. At this point I am in the information gathering stage on a possible either partial or full retrofit.

My first thought is to see if I can just put some new encoders on the current servos, get rid of the old controller and swap it out for the Centroid acorn control. That would be the cheapest option by a long shot and I really like the Centroid interface and use it regularly at work, so having it at home would be great. On that thought, does anyone know if the old servo drivers that came with the robotool interface with the centroid?

On the question of encoders, do you guys have any recommendations on encoders for a Centroid retrofit? Centroid has some for about $180 each, but thats almost half the cost of a full AC servo/encoder/driver replacement from DMM technology. The current servos on the Robotool are shown in a pic below. Any opinions on a full replacement vs trying to make them work?

I also like what I am seeing from DMM, most people seem to recommend the 750w servos on the xyz axis for this size machine, so I would probably lean in that direction. I am open to any other good options though if people think I should look elsewhere.

currently the Robo is setup for 220v 3 phase I think. Would a VFD be the best way to get that working on a single phase 220v I have at my home? also what kind of amperage circuit do people normally have this kind of machine on? Any recommendations on VFD brands? I see Hitachi seems to be pretty popular as well as the GS line from automation direct.

Anyhow sorry to unload, thats a lot of questions for one post. I love this forum though, been a long time lurker and look forward to participating a bit more