585,676 active members*
5,170 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Advice on lifting heavy milling gear at home
Page 1 of 2 12

Advice on lifting heavy milling gear at home

How do you guys lift heavy milling gear at home without a forklift? E.g. If you had to lift a 500lb machine or surface plate onto a table!

I was thinking of investing in one of those foldable engine hoist crane devices. Is there a better and / cheaper alternative?

Re: Advice on lifting heavy milling gear at home

i think harbor freight sells a portable gantry. basically 8 foot long I beam, A frame on both ends, locking castors.. roll it to wherever you want.

3 chain hoists or ropes and pulleys secured to 3 point reasonably far apart in the ceiling can lift and position something wherever you want (within the triangle) reasonably well. not good for lifting much beyond a few feet off the ground, as you approach the ceiling the force on the cables exceeds the weight of the object.

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    How do you guys lift heavy milling gear at home without a forklift? E.g. If you had to lift a 500lb machine or surface plate onto a table!

I was thinking of investing in one of those foldable engine hoist crane devices. Is there a better and / cheaper alternative?
    That's about as easy as it gets with an engine hoist, just take some time in getting a good one, as some are a little wimpy
    Mactec54

The Harbor Freight gantry or the engine hoist would be my choice. Just be careful and keep the load balanced and centered, they can be a bit tippy

On the other hand, I can't imagine life without a forklift . That was the first tool I bought when I moved into my shop.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    The Harbor Freight gantry or the engine hoist would be my choice. Just be careful and keep the load balanced and centered, they can be a bit tippy

On the other hand, I can't imagine life without a forklift . That was the first tool I bought when I moved into my shop.

Something like this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1300-l...rol-69739.html

As this is for a one-off (or very occasional) use, I wonder if I could attach this unit to a frame made from 1" x 3" aluminum extrusions. I don't have a safe way of attaching something like that to the ceiling. I have a steel beam I could use as a make-shift gantry beam.

I need to find out how thick an aluminum extrusion needs to be to support 400-500lb without breaking.

That electric hoist would work,with proper Harbor Freight de-rating, if you have something to hang it off of. The real question is how much structure do you have to hang it off of. I would not trust normal garage roof trusses without substantial additional bracing.

I was thinking more along the lines of your origonal thoughts: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ane-69514.html
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

That electric hoist would work,with proper Harbor Freight de-rating, if you have something to hang it off of. The real question is how much structure do you have to hang it off of. I would not trust normal garage roof trusses without substantial additional bracing.

I was thinking more along the lines of your origonal thoughts: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ane-69514.html

I have nothing to hang it off on the ceiling in my work space (I don't work in a garage). The ceiling is weak plasterboard type material.

I would have to hang the hoist from a frame. I just checked and (apparently) the aluminum extrusions can be made to hold 2 tons. I wouldn't trust them for that much weight (or anything close) but maybe I would trust them to hold 500lb for 30 seconds if the balance was right. I only need to lift a surface plate and then my CNC gantry.

The shop crane is the other option. It's more money but I am trying to understand if they can be used on their own or if you still need to buy something else to help lift. I don't understand how the crane helps me lift 500lb on it's own with no motor. I'm trying to read up on how it works.

The shop crane I linked above to is manually operated with a long stroke hydraulic jack. The only other things you need are some kind of lifting straps and any other rigging needed for the specific lift. For instance, if you're lifting a surface plate, you need to have a way of strapping it so it is balanced and can not get loose until you are ready to release it. Not the easiest thing to lift because it really has nothing to lift from, nothing to hang on to. A machine on the other hand is pretty easy because there is generally something to lift from, the rigging is easier.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Looks like the shop crane doesn't provide enough lift to be useful for lifting items from the floor to a table. They only seem to offer 10" - 20" depending on the model. Not helpful if you want to lift something from the floor to a 36" table or stand.

I bet they would be good for moving a Bridgeport type milling machine though. You could lift the mill onto a dolly with it.

Looks like the electric hoist with a gantry frame is a more viable option for lifting heavy objects 36".

I actually found an example of a tractor company using aluminum t-slots to make a hoist frame or lift of some sort. If you see something about a guy being crushed by a surface plate after an aluminum gantry broke... that will be me....

The shop crane I linked above to is manually operated with a long stroke hydraulic jack. The only other things you need are some kind of lifting straps and any other rigging needed for the specific lift. For instance, if you're lifting a surface plate, you need to have a way of strapping it so it is balanced and can not get loose until you are ready to release it. Not the easiest thing to lift because it really has nothing to lift from, nothing to hang on to. A machine on the other hand is pretty easy because there is generally something to lift from, the rigging is easier.
    Am I misunderstanding the specs on how much lift you can achieve with the foldable cranes? Which part moves when you crank the handle? Is it the chain or the frame?

Am I misunderstanding the specs on how much lift you can achieve with the foldable cranes? Which part moves when you crank the handle? Is it the chain or the frame?
    The boom moves up & down. When at its lowest, the tip of the boom is almost on the floor, at the maximum lift, its about 7 feet or a bit more. Should give you plenty of lift range. If this is something that you are not going to use often, maybe renting one or other lifting system would be an option.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I bet they would be good for moving a Bridgeport type milling machine though. You could lift the mill onto a dolly with it.

I think those are a bit light to lift a BP type mill.

This is my prefered method of lifting a BP type mill.

If you see something about a guy being crushed by a surface plate after an aluminum gantry broke... that will be me....
    We hope not !
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

this is what i was talking about.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-...ane-69513.html

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post

Those are a little pricey pricey for me for something that will only get used once but I can see that this sort of gantry structure is ideal for mounting a hoist to when it needs to be mobile and where mounting on the ceiling is not an option.

For now I am going to replicate that structure using my spare 2" x 4" T-slots extrusions with a steel beam for the gantry bridge. I intend to double up on the structure supports to make up for the reduced strength of aluminum (over steel). I.e. It will have 4 support legs instead of just two.

I now have a 1340lb electric hoist which I am hoping will be sufficient to lift my epoxy granite / carbon fiber fixed gantry structure. Some of these devices are rated for 2000lb or more so I think it is the ability to mount it safely that is the limiting factor.

In case anyone else here is considering making anything with epoxy granite, I highly recommend giving some thought to how you'll move it when you're done. The weight will be similar (or maybe more) than an equivalent footprint cast iron machine. It is certainly not a lightweight alternative....

I have one of the foldable cranes that Jim recommend on order too. I'll use whichever gives me more confidence in doing the job without any fatilities and return the other.

After doing a little more research, it seems that others have successfully used both products for this purpose so.... fingers crossed.

now I just need to figure how to jack up the granite and epoxy granite structures so I can get a rope under for the hoist....

I think those are a bit light to lift a BP type mill.

This is my prefered method of lifting a BP type mill.

We hope not !

Whatever that orange tractor / excavator / fork machine is, I am fairly certain I don't have one here and that Habor Freight probably doesn't sell them for around $200.....

It does look awesome for lifting heavy milling machines outside though but I can't see it fitting in a small shop with low ceilings. It looks like you have a decent amount of space for it at your place though. I.e. A warehouse with high ceilings and a wide door at the loading dock. Essentially, you have an ideal set-up for moving large heavy machines.

I don't need to move heavy stuff on a day to day basis. I work with lightweight carbon fiber parts so it doesn't make sense for me to invest big in heavy-duty lifting gear. My cash and space is going into more curing ovens and raw materials right now.

Hopefully, between the foldable crane you recommended and my new electric hoist, I'll be able to lift my machine parts on to my stand at least once. Then.... hopefully.... both devices will fit neatly away in storage until I need to move my CNC machine again.

Actually that forklift cost less than the foldable crane. Free was a very good price, it just showed up in my driveway one day. Had to do a little work on it.

For inside the shop I use the small forklift. I have less $$ into both forklifts than the foldable crane and power winch.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

You may be able to rent an engine hoist pretty cheaply, or ask around. You may have a neighbor who has one. If you have a table on wheels or castors that is close to the same height as the table you want to set the machine on, then you don't have to be in a garage or specific room to use a simple chain hoist. You could even use a stout tree outside, lift the machine to the rolling table, then roll it in next to the table you want it on and slide it off. One option is if you can disassemble the machine down to manageable parts to lift and move. Last option is to buy some beer, invite five friends or neighbors for free beer. Once they are there, ask them to help you lift it by hand. If you take this option, do the lifting before the drinking starts.

The main question is how often and how big do you want to lift anything.

I use the tried and trusted method of the engine crane for heavy lifts and the roof beams for a hoist with a prop for things like a machine vice or dividing head etc onto the mill table without breaking my back or risking a hernia.

The folding engine crane is good because it can get over places with the long boom .....the legs can fold up and then it gets placed against the wall in the corner out of the way.........a gantry type is awkward to move to get near or over a machine table as it has to span over the table and can't be folded up or stored easily afterwards.

For a 500lb weight the flimsiest engine crane will easily lift it provided it is rigid enough.........by an engine crane I mean one that has the long boom like arm hydraulically lifted..........the cable type ones are not recommended.

The last option is a scissor lift table, but for a 500lb capacity they can be expensive and they only get next to a machine not over it to drop the load, so you have to slide the load on and off......quite dodgy.
    Ian.

Actually that forklift cost less than the foldable crane. Free was a very good price, it just showed up in my driveway one day. Had to do a little work on it.

For inside the shop I use the small forklift. I have less $$ into both forklifts than the foldable crane and power winch.

That sounds like a good bit of luck. Nobody has ever left any heavy duty machinery on my doorstep.... not even at Christmas....

Cost aside, the main issue for me is space. As a practical matter, large equipment like that is too much trouble if you don't have a regular use for them. My needs are for a one time job or very occasional use.

Renting large lifting equipment like forklift trucks is only an option if you already have a license. I understand that a fork lift is the ideal tool for the job though. It's the first thing I looked into.

I did look into renting other types of (smaller) lifting equipment near where I live but the price was not too different to buying something.

I like that the crane folds away so it can be stored out of the way when not in use. The electric hoist is small enough to go in a closet and the gantry will be disassembled when the job is done.

I guess this is the downside to working with carbon fiber - you have no excuse to buy cool toys like that excavator as everything is light weight. I think that most of us would be facing divorce if we tried to park a large orange excavator in the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    You may be able to rent an engine hoist pretty cheaply, or ask around. You may have a neighbor who has one. If you have a table on wheels or castors that is close to the same height as the table you want to set the machine on, then you don't have to be in a garage or specific room to use a simple chain hoist. You could even use a stout tree outside, lift the machine to the rolling table, then roll it in next to the table you want it on and slide it off. One option is if you can disassemble the machine down to manageable parts to lift and move. Last option is to buy some beer, invite five friends or neighbors for free beer. Once they are there, ask them to help you lift it by hand. If you take this option, do the lifting before the drinking starts.
    Unfortunately epoxy granite machine bases and granite surface plates do not break down into smaller parts.

I considered that approach when I was thinking of buying an old knee mill but the individual parts are too heavy for a person to safely lift without lift gear. Those cast iron tables can weigh upwards of 400lb on their own and the base can be multiples of that.

Anyway... I am satisfied that the various engine hoists and cranes will do the job. I have found a lot of examples of people using them to move Bridgeport type mills around. For example, this guy (at the bottom of the page):

Alex Wetmore is always busy with something?

Page 1 of 2 12