584,866 active members*
5,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

new Haas TM1P has arrived!

Finally the wait is over! It was installed in our garage with a door height of 82 1/2" without a problem they did have to pull the feet off though now we are waiting on the electrician so Haas can finish the install.

Re: new Haas TM1P has arrived!

Congratulations on the new mill. I see you were also looking at the Tormach and others that bridge the gap between hobby and light industrial mills. What factors influenced the decision to spend the extra money for the TM1P and why the TM1P vs the TM2P? I thought I wanted the PCNC1100 until I really started looking closely, now I'm not sure if I'll outgrow it by the time I get up to speed with running it.

Quote Originally Posted by jgraves View Post
    Congratulations on the new mill. I see you were also looking at the Tormach and others that bridge the gap between hobby and light industrial mills. What factors influenced the decision to spend the extra money for the TM1P and why the TM1P vs the TM2P? I thought I wanted the PCNC1100 until I really started looking closely, now I'm not sure if I'll outgrow it by the time I get up to speed with running it.
    Thanks I was looking at all of them the Tormach, Smithy Automate and the Haas but looking at all the features available We decided on the Haas their dealer is about 4 miles from us. The main concern was will it get in the garage (82 3/4) clearance but once they took the feet off we had about a inch clearance. We almost doubled the price of the machine with options though, we got the 4th axis, renshaw probe, auger, high flow coolant with programable nozzle, 64 gig mem, high speed machining, rigid tapping, HRT160 rotary table, tailstock and chuck. So my Son and I are looking forward to it the activation should be tuesday or wed.

Very nice, you will want some kind of mist control with the small square footage. I use these as they work great, cheap, and 120V plug
    MistAway - Simple - Reliable - Affordable
    Good luck on the new adventure!
    Gary

Congratulations on your new machine. I purchased a HAAS TM1P back in 2007 and it is still making parts for me today. It has been very reliable and with minimal maintenance issues.

The renishaw wireless probe and wireless tool setter was by far the option I liked best. Makes setting your tools and establishing datum points a BREEZE! One thing to keep in mind is that not all moves are protected on the Renisahaw Probe. My one and only crash was when I was doing an Y Center probe late!!!! one evening and input a -5. for the depth instead of a -.5. $1200.00 dollars later after replacing the probe all was well. It was a hard/expensive lesson to learn. I will never forget the POINT FIVE.

One other thing. One day when your on board battery gives you an alarm and tells you that it needs replacing let the local HAAS Dealer install it for you unless they have changed the engineering on the battery location. It should have an on board dual battery backup with snap in batteries. Hopefully, they have changed that on the new machines and incorporated it on all the new machines shipped from the factory.

I think you made a wise decision ordering all the options and you won't be looking back later saying I wish I had bought that option. Usually, HAAS will give you some type of discount on those options when you purchase a new machine.

Wish my dad had bought me a new HAAS. Ha Ha What CAD/CAM product are you going to use? I use ONECNC but Fusion 360 seems to becoming very popular.

Enjoy, and post some pictures of the stuff you make.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Congratulations on your new machine. I purchased a HAAS TM1P back in 2007 and it is still making parts for me today. It has been very reliable and with minimal maintenance issues.

The renishaw wireless probe and wireless tool setter was by far the option I liked best. Makes setting your tools and establishing datum points a BREEZE! One thing to keep in mind is that not all moves are protected on the Renisahaw Probe. My one and only crash was when I was doing an Y Center probe late!!!! one evening and input a -5. for the depth instead of a -.5. $1200.00 dollars later after replacing the probe all was well. It was a hard/expensive lesson to learn. I will never forget the POINT FIVE.

One other thing. One day when your on board battery gives you an alarm and tells you that it needs replacing let the local HAAS Dealer install it for you unless they have changed the engineering on the battery location. It should have an on board dual battery backup with snap in batteries. Hopefully, they have changed that on the new machines and incorporated it on all the new machines shipped from the factory.

I think you made a wise decision ordering all the options and you won't be looking back later saying I wish I had bought that option. Usually, HAAS will give you some type of discount on those options when you purchase a new machine.

Wish my dad had bought me a new HAAS. Ha Ha What CAD/CAM product are you going to use? I use ONECNC but Fusion 360 seems to becoming very popular.

John
    Ouch $1200.00 is a fair bit of change I will definetly be watching the decimal points (that was in the back of my mind anyways)! We will be using Fusion 360 it seems to be a nice cad/cam program and watching Lars Christensen cad/cam videos as well as his live brodcasts m/f with question time too. So now I'm just waiting for the activation this week and am writing down any questions the battery is one of them.

Hi Tom,

I sent you a personal message so check your in box.

Yep, I also watch Lars Christensen and he has some really informative videos. So far I have not tried to cut anything with Fusion 360 but may give it a try one day.

Yep, those Y Web depth negative moves can be very expensive if you are not totally aware of your inputs especially when you use the standard length probe. The sad part was that I had my finger on the feed hold button and when I saw the probe tip go by (what I thought was the designated negative level) I could have just pressed the feed hold button and it would have stopped, but I panicked and reached for the Emergency Stop. By the time I got to the Emergency Stop the probe body hit the vise. (OUCH). I guess the reason these moves aren't protected is because Renishaw offers different length probes. Hope this never happens to you.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Congrats on the new machine. That is a bunch of extras.
    I received a Mini Mill earlier this year and love that thing.
    I use Fusion 360 exclusively with the stock Haas post and have zero issues. Works very well.
    Look forward to seeing your progress with it.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Congrats on the new machine. That is a bunch of extras.
    I received a Mini Mill earlier this year and love that thing.
    I use Fusion 360 exclusively with the stock Haas post and have zero issues. Works very well.
    Look forward to seeing your progress with it.
    Thanks we were looking at the Mini Mill for quite a while in the begining but were thinking about the work envelope using the 4th axis. On the other hand I have always had the belief to see what you want then go one bigger if possible because you know what you need it for today, tomorow is another story.

I totally agree about the size thing if you do not really have an idea of how you will use it.
    Right now though, I design all of our products and I just think small.
    Lee

I love seeing the cubbyhole above the spindle...that's one of the best tricks when ceiling height is of concern

I've never owned a TM mill, but I love that they offer so much more X-travel compared to the other machines in the pricerange. I have a Minimill which seems so cramped when you realize the comparable TM1 has the same X-travel as a much beefier VF2. They offer a lot of bang for your buck compared to the MM, perfect for rotary positioning!

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post

John
    It was activated today so we are good to go! I asked about the battery and was told the new generation uses the battery for the time and date only!

Quote Originally Posted by tom o View Post
    Thanks I was looking at all of them the Tormach, Smithy Automate and the Haas but looking at all the features available We decided on the Haas their dealer is about 4 miles from us. The main concern was will it get in the garage (82 3/4) clearance but once they took the feet off we had about a inch clearance. We almost doubled the price of the machine with options though, we got the 4th axis, renshaw probe, auger, high flow coolant with programable nozzle, 64 gig mem, high speed machining, rigid tapping, HRT160 rotary table, tailstock and chuck. So my Son and I are looking forward to it the activation should be tuesday or wed.
    Does the high flow coolant require three phase power or will it run off of single phase?

We are running single phase power and have had no problems at all with the Haas mill.

We are running single phase power and have had no problems at all with the Haas mill.
    Awesome! What work holding solutions are you using? I was thinking of getting orange vise 16” double station model for my future T1MP purchase. What do you like and dislike as far as the mill and the options you chose?

Awesome! What work holding solutions are you using? I was thinking of getting orange vise 16” double station model for my future T1MP purchase. What do you like and dislike as far as the mill and the options you chose?

I have no complaints about the Haas at all everything is working as it should. Setup time is greatly reduced with the probe / toolsetter and definetly lots of coolant to clear chips the ridgid tapping is a great feature We are just using the standard collets though with no problem so far (tapping collets have a square in them to hold the tap ) for a vice we went with the DX6 Crossover Anglock Vise by Kurt but onlyone so far.

I have a 17" Orange on my Mini Mill.
    It is oriented lengthwise with the table on a sub plate.
    I like it alot. That vise does some neat tricks.
    No handle came with it so I use an old Craftsman ratchet and deep well socket. Works like it should have came with it.
    If you are going to mount it lengthwise like I did, then get the longer one. That will provide another inch or so in each station.

For bigger stuff, just remove the fixed jaw mount and you have a large clamping capacity.
    Lee

I have no complaints about the Haas at all everything is working as it should. Setup time is greatly reduced with the probe / toolsetter and definetly lots of coolant to clear chips the ridgid tapping is a great feature We are just using the standard collets though with no problem so far (tapping collets have a square in them to hold the tap ) for a vice we went with the DX6 Crossover Anglock Vise by Kurt but onlyone so far.
    Awesome! This is great to hear! Thank you for your feedback!

Hi tom o, its been a few months, how are your thoughts on the TM-1P now?

I've been looking at them as an upgrade from a Tormach. I have some parts that I could do that are 20-26" long, and the table travel size is perfect for.

Page 1 of 2 12