584,874 active members*
5,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: new Haas TM1P has arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by hersh View Post
    Hi tom o, its been a few months, how are your thoughts on the TM-1P now?

I've been looking at them as an upgrade from a Tormach. I have some parts that I could do that are 20-26" long, and the table travel size is perfect for.
    Hersh -

coming from a pair of Tormachs (still have them - 1100S3 and 770M) I picked up a TM2P 2 weeks back, used.

Machining nothing but 304SS on it since we plugged it in. Really a huge leap from the Tormach products - huge. I doubt you'd be disappointed with a TM1P. I'd recommend chip auger, WIPS if you can (I don't have it and wish I did), and 10k spindle (thought the 6k has been fine for me thus far). Have 4x Kurt DX6 across the table and will probably add a 5th soon. Cool machine, really.

Enjoy,

WW

I’m still happy as hell with the hass and have had no issues at all with it.

Thank you for the reply tom o and wildwhl. I think I'm going to move forward it it, and it sounds perfect for my needs. I have some more questions, but I'll post in a new thread so I don't hijack yours.

Attachment 420692Attachment 420692Use it if you like or start another, one thing the installer told me was it needs a air dryer or void the warranty on the spindle we have been using the decasent type so far but I have just picked up a Drystream 25 cfm that will be fitted after the decasent filter / water trap.

Quote Originally Posted by tom o View Post
    Finally the wait is over! It was installed in our garage with a door height of 82 1/2" without a problem they did have to pull the feet off though now we are waiting on the electrician so Haas can finish the install.
    I see your ceiling cubbies, and have some questions about them if you wouldn't mind helping out. I'm wanting to go this route as well but only have a 96" ceiling, and with a cubby can only get to about 104". For reference, what is your nominal ceiling height in your space, is it also 96"?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Zengineer View Post
    I see your ceiling cubbies, and have some questions about them if you wouldn't mind helping out. I'm wanting to go this route as well but only have a 96" ceiling, and with a cubby can only get to about 104". For reference, what is your nominal ceiling height in your space, is it also 96"?

Thank you!
    I’m in the exact same boat( looking at same machine , same ceiling height, 83 3/4” door)
    I’d like to know minimum height above machine, I guess I’d be alright if the cable track touched ceiling as long as it just flattened out and not damage it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    I’m in the exact same boat( looking at same machine , same ceiling height, 83 3/4” door)
    I’d like to know minimum height above machine, I guess I’d be alright if the cable track touched ceiling as long as it just flattened out and not damage it

I’ll give it a measure and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tom o View Post
    I’ll give it a measure and get back to you.
    It is 96” ceiling height and 12” into the cubby hole at the home position so 108” depending on leveling height I would use that as a minimum height though just to make sure.
    One thing the Tech said after commissioning it was the spindle warranty would be void unless a air dryer was installed and for a while we used a powerfist dryer that used the pellets before buying a proper air dryer.Attachment 425572

Thanks Tom. Geeze it's going to be tricky for me. Measured some more and I have 103 3/4" to the underside of the floor above - this would be after pocketing the floor boards. I'm willing to bet I could get 1/2" or so back with a lower profile foot design for the machine. My eye keeps turning to the cable tray coming out of the top of the spindle - if it came out the rear instead of the top there looks to be considerable gains there, but I suspect it's not as easy as it looks to do that. (or quite frankly Haas would likely do it that way as I'm sure this very issue has cost them a lot of sales over the years from those with 96" ceilings) Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Thank you , definitely appreciate it. I need to do some more homework

I also have just under 104”. According to Haas the lowest height for moving thru a door is 84” feet on, 78” feet off. I may make some low profile feet

Sorry to clog up Toms thread

Likewise not meaning to derail Tom's thread here. New to the forum, most forums I've been a part of prefer to keep similar discussions together, my bad if I've assumed incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zengineer View Post
    Likewise not meaning to derail Tom's thread here. New to the forum, most forums I've been a part of prefer to keep similar discussions together, my bad if I've assumed incorrectly.
    Don’t worry about the thread there is nothing to derail!

Great post...
    Read in its entirety... I kinda jumped around a bit in the time line of events but I think it will make sense in the end?
    I'll add some info in hopes it will help someone with their TM-1!
    I got my 2004 TM-1 through the garage door with an opening of 82-1/2" with the feet intact, just removed the 4 leveling screws. We used an electric skid / pallet hoist to do the heavy lifting from trailer to concrete apron in front of garage. Had our daughter help pull/hold down on the black hose just to make sure it would clear while transporting through door opening!
    Disconnected the regen coil and flex hose connecting box at the mounting side and let them hang down over the back of the electrical cabinet. Supported them with rubber snubbers so the weight of them was not on the wires.
    The flex hose bends just fine with the air line n motor wiring in it with out any major concern, there is extra cable in the box and its all flexible stuff inside!
    Once inside we took a deep breath n gave each other a high 5!!! THAT WAS EASY.... LOL
    We placed our machine so the cable tubing ends up between the floor joists. The joists are at 97-1/2" and the floor bottom above is at 103". This might be considered a little hokey pokey but, I shortened the black flex hose by 8" on the coupling box end and have the hose pulled over to the side at 5 to 10 degrees with a rope. So as the Z axis goes up for homing n tool changes it will keep the tube from hitting the bottom of the floor above by 1/2" !!! The Z axis sheet metal misses the bottom of the floor joists by a whopping 1-1/8" at tool changes..... Boy was that close the first time I fired up the machine n homed it!!! Hand on the RED E STOP BUTTON!!!!
    But all is working just fine !!! If ya want to get it in .... you will find a way... just be safe n creative !!!
    BEST DARN DECISION I MADE YET.... investing in the HAAS TM-1 with tool changer. I added a tool setter n spindle probe n love how much it has helped keep things in tolerance when needed!!!

Have fun n play/work safely with your machine... mine is running as I type all this up.... multi-tasking !!!

MM

Thanks everyone. Mega Moog, thanks for those details. It's pretty unnerving looking at dropping this much money on a new machine and not being sure if I can make it fit or not, lol. I expect the cable tray can be re-routed on the TM-1P somehow to get some extra clearance, but I need to talk with Haas next to figure out what that looks like regarding warranty, or whether they've done it at the factory before and can maintain warranty somehow. Megamoog, your 97-1/2" and 1/2" of clearance is really helpful for me, bottom of my floor joists are 96 1/4" and I expect I need to pocket them. My bigger concern is 103 3/4" at the underside of the floor. Looks like you've got a workable solution there. Not sure I can plan to do the same with the newer cable tray style.

My musings for Haas, about to call them:

- Can I re-route the cable carrier out the back?
    - Can I "flatten" the cable carrier shape so that I get more clearance?
    - Can I go with shorter leveling legs?
    - Can the Z axis limit switch be moved down on the Z axis, reducing Z travel slightly?

Will update as I find answers to these questions, please share if you know the answers. Or if you have a TM-1P and can provide some photos of the cable routing that would be awesome.

Got some answers but they aren't too promising in my particular situation.

- The 105" advertised height of the TM-1P is WITHOUT the leveling feet attached. (which is what the drawing shows, but I made an assumption that was the overall minimum height required because they state it as "maximum" height of the machine)
    - The dealer says 109" total height is required.
    - Z-axis stroke can not be limited, as the tool changer is engaged at the top of the Z travel
    - Cable tray cannot be moved
    - Leveling feet could potentially be machined down slightly to gain an inch
    - Installed height assumes leveling feet midway in the range, another inch could be gained if you leveled in a "low" position with those threaded feet

Anyway, not really going to work very well for me!

So I wonder... how much business is Haas losing over those last few inches? Anyway, back to the drawing board for me to some extent... Just thought I'd share what I heard back for the next person.

Page 2 of 2 12