512,349 active members
2,462 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Registered

Re: Smoothieboard - 2 steppers/axis homing

Too many words, too little meaning. So without backlash compensation and with measured ballscrew backlash of 0.0008'' you have accuratly measured value of 0.0002'', I bet that you also have less than 1000 steps per mm in your GRBL-config...I think I'll skip deep dive into metrology here.

Registered

Backlash is irrelevant because the homing cycle completes by moving in the same direction every time and the backlash is taken out. So yes I can measure that the table came to a stop each time moving in the same direction within 0.0002". Also, how do you know that I don't have backlash compensation turned on? Is it by chance because you are assuming things you know nothing about? The machine was used for testing Grbl, but it does not run on Grbl normally, and in the video presented it is running on LinuxCNC. The steps per inch at the time of the video were set to 32000 steps/in (1259 step/mm), using a 0.2" lead ballscrew and 1/32 microstepping. Even if you want to argue that 1/32 microstepping isn't accurate enough positioning, each 1//2 step is accurate and would equate to 0.0005". Even if I conced that my test can't show any better than that 0.0005", it is still more than an order of magnitude better than what you claim the switches are capable of.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by kfmut View Post
    Too many words, too little meaning. So without backlash compensation and with measured ballscrew backlash of 0.0008'' you have accuratly measured value of 0.0002'', I bet that you also have less than 1000 steps per mm in your GRBL-config...I think I'll skip deep dive into metrology here.
    Kfmut,
    Your posts are not enhancing or contributing in any positive fashion to this thread, do you have a specific reason for attempting to undermine a member that has a thousand times as many constructive posts as your manipulative rhetoric?
    Live from Burbank, home of the endless Cup-Of-Joe
    JoeyB
    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.

Lets keep it civil folks.

Mark

Page 2 of 2 12