As suggested, I've started a new thread specific to this problem.

Firstly, I have a chinese compatible MKS sBase v1.3 and not the genuine article. In my defense, I wasn't aware of smoothieboard's nature of open source until after I bought this board that was recommended by a local supplier. They appear to my amateur eye functionally the same. Onwards....

I've decided to use 2 steppers for the x axis on my laser etcher/cutter build.

It's been suggested that a simple way of homing the axis is to push it to the hard limit, so it's square, prior to homing. Sounds like a good workaround to me.

What I'd like to know, does anyone know how to home the 2 steppers independently using the smoothie? I can't experiment with methods because my steppers are in the mail. Will try a few things when I can.

My thoughts - The drivers on board are slaved using jumpers from the input signals for one of the drivers (actual X) to the input signals of the slaved driver (E1). So that any stepper connected to E1 will be driven in exactly the same way as X. Therefore no independent homing can occur.

Suggested method 1: Post process the file and convert arcs to short line segments. Add E1 commands to all the G1s (duplicate the x axis dimension but call it E1), so that E1 is tied to X axis by g-code alone. No need to jumper the axis. Potential for much larger file size and arcs not as smooth.

Suggested method 2: Use a switching method, associated with an M-code, that would break the link that's jumpered on board. Then home, then re-activate link. Some sort of relay, relay board, etc.... Allows arcs to be interpreted correctly, but the config file says you need to remove certain references to the slaved driver/stepper and this may preclude it being homed independently.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on the matter?