584,860 active members*
5,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Path Pilot 2.0 Get Ready!!! Tormach has a page for it now!
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: Path Pilot 2.0 Get Ready!!! Tormach has a page for it now!

My PP 2.0 USB arrived today in the frozen north without hassles from customs. Hurrah!
    I decided to do a test install on a machine without a 5i25. It failed with the message that no 7i92 was found (a 7i92 is ethernet attached version of their PCI 5i25 card). Does that mean that the 7i25 is supported? I hate to purchase a 7i92 on spec but that would be great news.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    My PP 2.0 USB arrived today in the frozen north without hassles from customs. Hurrah!
    I decided to do a test install on a machine without a 5i25. It failed with the message that no 7i92 was found (a 7i92 is ethernet attached version of their PCI 5i25 card). Does that mean that the 7i25 is supported? I hate to purchase a 7i92 on spec but that would be great news.
    Mine's still "pending shipment" since I ordered it on the 9th, guess they ran out
    M

It needs a 5i25 card.
    If it can't find one, I bet it looks around to see what it could find. Tormach doesn't sell 7i92's (nothing comes up in the store) so I wouldn't expect it to be supported (or tested very well).

If you look in the configs directory you will see there are *_7i92.ini files. I suspect this would mean PP 2.0 now supports the 7i92 card.

Given how complete their release notes tend to be, I suspect this is just exploratory on their part. They make no mention of 7i92 support in the release notes.

If you want a definitive answer, simply ask them I guess before wasting a bunch of time being a guinea pig and potentially scrapping parts.

I phoned Tormach tech support and am awaiting a return call.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    Mine's still "pending shipment" since I ordered it on the 9th, guess they ran out
    M
    Mine was ordered on the 7th, shipped on the 8th, stored in Montreal for 3 days and arrived here today.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    If you look in the configs directory you will see there are *_7i92.ini files. I suspect this would mean PP 2.0 now supports the 7i92 card.
    The 7i92 card is an ethernet based controller. So it would mount in the electronics cabinet and interface to your PC with an ethernet cable. No more parallel port cable required.

Maybe PCNC 1100 Series 4?

7I92 picture
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

You still need the parallel cable between the control board and the 7i92. My interest is because a 7i92 would allow me to position the control PC in a much more convenient location.

Shipping confirmation came today. Guess they were more back-ordered than I thought
    M

Can you get to the linux screen by holding alt+shift when you see the Tormach logo?
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    Can you get to the linux screen by holding alt+shift when you see the Tormach logo?
    ctrl-alt-x works here everytime.......
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    Yes.

I spoke with two support people at Tormach and neither had any knowledge of Mesa 7i92 support.

They must be planning to do something in the future with the 7i92. Otherwise, why would they have "tormach_xxxx-x_7i92_specific.ini" for each of the mills in the configs directory.

Agreed but for now you're on your own if there are any problems with using a 7i92. I don't know about current products but the older Tormach supplied control PCs will need an Ethernet card to talk to the 7i92.

Agreed but for now you're on your own if there are any problems with using a 7i92. I don't know about current products but the older Tormach supplied control PCs will need an Ethernet card to talk to the 7i92.

My controller is pushin' 5 years old. It came with a network card, which I am using for my Windows/Pathpilot UI app. I know its radical, but my guess is they are exploring more into this. Even it was stripped down and just used as an accessory to PP.

Btw... while were are looking at the configs. What the heck is a PCNC50 with a 8600rpm spindle, 150 in/min rapids?

Pete

What else is interesting is the PCNC50 only has a 7i92 configuration that I can see...

Quote Originally Posted by petenc View Post
    What else is interesting is the PCNC50 only has a 7i92 configuration that I can see...
    There are rumors of a larger Tormach mill with linear bearings on the ways. Maybe this is it. Although I would think that would be named a PCNC2200 or something like that. PCNC50 doesn't seem to follow their current naming convention.

You still need the parallel cable between the control board and the 7i92. My interest is because a 7i92 would allow me to position the control PC in a much more convenient location.
    Sure. But you could mount the 7i92 with standoffs over the machine control board, and connect them with a 3" ribbon cable.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    There are rumors of a larger Tormach mill with linear bearings on the ways. Maybe this is it. Although I would think that would be named a PCNC2200 or something like that. PCNC50 doesn't seem to follow their current naming convention.
    What do the Tormach numbers in the model name (1100, 770 and 440) represent? It was never obvious to me.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Page 3 of 4 1234