585,885 active members*
6,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: MetaCut

MetaCut

Has anyone used MetaCut Utilities (included in VisualMill 5) or MetaCut FinishPro? It claims to reduce milling time significantly and improve surface finish. If I use Unigraphics, do I really need MetaCut stuff since UG is supposed to be the best CAM program? Does UG have something similar to MetaCut in terms of reducing milling time and improving surface finish?

I am user and seller of the software. It gives you and option to filter the code before the machine sees it.

Were Visimill does not have this option.
    I have a customer that uses it with Visimill and it works well.

Now as for UG I am preaty sure it has a filtering system in it. I will have to check.

(do I really need MetaCut stuff since UG is supposed to be the best CAM program?) As for statinf that UG is the best is a big statment.

But metacut has an abilty to varify Gcode were UG does not.
    Also you can DNC with it along with do a mid start and tell it to ramp in to the cut were it left off.

As I know most user of UG use Varicut for there to optimizer.
    I to have been trqained and have a Lic of this.

As for filtering the code I know that I take care of this inside my My cad-cam system prior to posting for the machine.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

metacut

I am a metacut utilities and finish pro user and I can say that it is worth every penny that it sells for. The main difference between metcut and any cam software that has filtering is that metacut is looking at your posted file not the softwares internal geometry. If you want file reduction of sometimes 80 % then you should invest. Metacut utilities actually builds a solid model of your g code and shows you the tool paths. My suggestion is to go to Northwood Designs web page and download there demo. As far as UG is concerned I think that both products will help. I am a MasterCam user and even though they have a filter I still use Metacut.

JWWalthall, why do you filter again after mastercam?..
    I see no bonuse at this time.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I filter after mastercam for one reason . The Metacut filter is filtering the actual posted code. Mastercams filter is working on the NCI file not the posted code. MAstercams filter is one of the best out there in terms of internal filters but I feel that Metacut gives me more control. If your machine control truly does handle 3D arcs,(not many do, Fanuc, Siemens) Metcut would really be the answer. You should give Northwood Designs a call (makers of Metacut and Metacut utilities) And let Bill explain to you the differences. I hope that this helps.

Jim Walthall

Sorry, I really didn't explain myself about when I filter my G code. I do not use Mastercams filter at all. I post my code using my machine specific post and then run it thru Metacut. Sorry for not answering the question.

Jim

Jim, thanks for the answers. I spent a few hours just before Westec here in Califonia with Bill at out office going over his new beta software.
    Some great new stuff coming from this man.

I do need to talk with bill again about a few things.And talk more about your thoughts.
    I use the MC one as I have found issues in the past that I need to pass on to bill.

Also so you know that we sell Metcu from our office.
    This why I spent time with bill only just last month.

Talk again soon.

Vary nice guy known him for a few years.
    Cadcam

Thanks for the reply. I have know Bill for many years and consider him a good friend. I believe in his product and when you talk to him ask him about me and our first meeting you will get a laugh out of it I think.

Jim

Cool Jim I will.One thing I can say about bill were can I get a Can of bill Energy, He has alot of it and it is a good thing.
    Cadcam