584,866 active members*
5,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Massive problems with cnc plasma

Hello All,
    Reaching out to anyone who has/had an ez cut cnc 8000 pro series machine. Mine is a new as of march 2017. 5'x10' cutting table. Set up with a hypertherm hpr 130xd plasma. I have had nothing but trouble from day one with this machine. I have tried to contact the ez cut tech that did the install and at least 3 weeks with no response the questions/problems. My machine will randomly shut of in the middle of a cut. The machine will stop and then say it has lost the machine coordinates. I then have to shut the whole machine down to get it to reset the home. causing the part/material to be waste. I also have nothing but trouble with the torch height. causing excessive dross and horrible consumable life. Now he machine will not even find home. They have replaced a board in the controls already once. They also have sent me a new computer saying the one with the machine is not fast enough. the new board fixed the machine for about 6 hours of cutting. the torch height was still an issue, but at least it actually moved around the table. and attempted to make a cut. The new computer basically did nothing. Now This machine is totally useless. I have a $75,000 paperweight. Has anyone had any issues have any good thoughts on a way to fix this? Thanks for the help

Re: Massive problems with cnc plasma

Try replacing your electrical wires service drops to a bigger size, plasma is like a welding machine in terms of amperage, once the supply voltage drops even just a little bit, it creates transient spikes which is not good for the control board, it`ll cause instabilities in operation, only an experienced CNC tech can find the culprit on your unit.

Try running a very simple part like a small square (X and Y only) at a very slow feedrate with the plasma cutter turned OFF to see If you're losing steps.

If you need to reference the home position first, turn the feedrate down so it goes to Home position very slow, again to check If you're losing steps.
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Pm me. I've been there an done this in court. Different company, same ****. Bob

Thanks to everyone who has replied so fast. The electrical wires and new. I have also had my electrician check the wiring and the grounds. He ran voltage drop tests and all is well within spec. As for running a part at this point is not possible. If I can not home the machine I can not run any parts. This machine ran well from time to time. When it worked it made nice cuts and nice parts. that was just very very infrequent.

reading this it sounds like a controller problem maby another make controller like vital systems or mach motion they have the top controllers I know a new machine should have to do this
    I worked in the electronics field for over 30 years with the big M on state wide systems thers a lot of junk out there belive me when it comes to electronics

I would first remove the torch and use a simple sharpy pen to get it working you should be able check the homming switches for voltage or ground problems. assuming your using mach the soft limits should work on jog check the power supply voltages in the controller if the shop has power problems plug the electronics in to a ups all computer related stuff should be on a ups. also all eithernet links to the computer hook them up direct some need a reversed par some a straight through depending on the controller don't use a router or switch
    when trouble shooting you need to sit back and think one part at a time and never take any ones word saying it works
    hope this helps