584,871 active members*
5,462 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > proper shut down procedure for vm16

proper shut down procedure for vm16

What exactly is the proper shut down procedure?
    T he reason I am asking this is because when I turn off my vm16, I Home the machine and then hit the E-stop, and then cut the main power off.
    I thought that I read somewhere that this was the way to do it........... Maybe I thought wrong.

Now after reading in another thread in a reply by SportyBob, it sounds like (if I read it correctly) that I should be homing the machine and then jogging the axis off of the homing switches. To me this makes more sense.
    And would that be for all 3 axis X Y Z. ??

Maybe SportyBob or anyone else, could tell me the proper procedure for shutting down a VMC.

Dave

On my lathes I have written a little program to take them home minus 1/4", load tool 1, wait 4 seconds, and estop. On my Mills, in particular any bed Mills, I empty the spindle if a tool is in it, send the x to the middle of the travel (center the table over the frame) send the y & z to home minus 1/4" ( same as the lathes ,to be off the home switches), pause 4 seconds and m31 kill the drives, then flip the power. I have heard that leaving a mill at the extent of its x travel to the left or right for an extended period will stretch the iron and twist the frame, I don't know if there is any truth to it, but it seems logical since glass will develop swags from its own weight over time.

Re: proper shut down procedure for vm16

Hi DK The factory says, e-stop the machine and turn off the power.

What you don't want to do is leave the machine "parked" on the limit or home switches. It has proven hard on them, they get sticky etc.

you could write a program to park the axis most any where you want.
    Like"

G32 ( brings the Z to tool change height)
    G1F100 X0 Y0, ( brings the X / Y to the current G54 0)
    M31 ( estops the machine.

You can get more fancy by using G53, or at the end of a conversational program select move the axis to a position, referenced from "home" ( center the X and bring the Y to the front, y-1) to make it easier to load / unload parts.

I think Allen's' reference to bed mills, especially larger ones the table weight may have an effect over time. I have no proof one way or the other, but metal does move.

sportybob

Thank you both, Allen and Bob. I appreciate you both passing on your Milltronics knowledge and experience.

I was contemplating a new thread for my next question, but it kind of ties in with shutting off the machine so here goes.

I have tried numerous times to put together a warm up program with axis movements and having it loop for say 10 mins.
    I tried to do this by writing a small program and then calling up a sub program.
    Would this be the proper approach, or is there a better way?
    I did read in the sub programming section that this may be a good application for this method.
    I have tried several different ways of writing it but I keep getting error codes, such as error 550 (bad numeric format) and the other one I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's related to doing a sub program.
    I have been doing this using G code programming.
    I keep hearing how simple Conversational programming is, but for the life of me I can not come to grips with it.
    And in my opinion the manual that I have, is pretty much useless in trying to explain it to me.

Again I would appreciate any, and all help I can get,
    Dave.

P.S If it matters my machine is a 1997 vm16 series B with Centurion 6 control.

I don't really think you need to warm up the table, but to each their own.
    Go Sub 100 L30
    M30
    N100
    G1 G53 X0 y0 f150
    G4p2
    G1 G53 x-25 y-15
    G4 p2
    Return

This will move the table back and forth the number of times you specify in the L count at the sub call

Allen, you are so right about warming up the table and how stupid that probably sounds to everyone and that is my fault by not explaining myself very well.
    Hopefully I will get my point across better this time.

I have been attempting to teach myself how to program my machine and earlier this year, with the help of BrianL, I was able to run a program with success and this attempt to use a sub program in a warm up procedure is an attempt to learn more about programming.
    The warm up program was to include X , Y and Z axis movements along with running in the spindle at various RPM's but right off the start I ran into a fault code and I don't understand why.

When going through the manual they said one of the good applications of a sub program was a warm up procedure, so this was my attempt.
    I wrote a little program and ran the the 3 lines.
    I then wrote the same program with the same 3 lines and called it a sub program and tried to run it but there has not been any success.

Here is what I did.

This is the main program This is the sub program.

PO 1000 PO 1002

n5 g0 g17 g20 g40 g50 g69 g80 g91 n5 g0 g17 g20 g40 g50 g69 g80 g91
    n10 g01 x-24 f100 n10 g01 x-24 f1oo
    n15 y-14 n15 y-14
    n20 x24 n20 x24
    n25 y14 n25 y14
    n30 m98 PO 1002 L2 n30 m99
    n35 m30

When I run the main program it gets to line # 30 and gives me Error 550, which says it is a bad numeric format.

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks
    Dave

Do you have a programming manual? They are free for download on milltronics site. To answer your question, I don't really know what you did wrong, but there are a few things I don't particularly do, one of them is that I don't involve preparatory g codes in a program that by default doesn't need them. I find that it can clutters up a program and introduces more opportunity for error. Another is that I don't use line numbers unless the line is significant enough that I might need to skip to it or the control may need to skip to it, as in the case of a sub. I also always place any subprograms after m30 and use "return" rather than m99 though they do the same thing. I use m99 for program call returns only. Just habits that work for me.

This is an attempt to clarify my last post. I made 2 separate columns for the programs but when posted ,they all blended into 1
    I tried to edit the post without any luck.

Main program was this.

PO 1000
    n5 g0 g17 g20 g40 g50 g69 g80 g91
    n10 g01 x-24 f100
    n15 y-14
    n20 x24
    n25 y14
    n30 m98 PO 1002 L2
    n35 m30

This was the sub program.

PO 1002

n5 g0 g17 g20 g40 g50 g69 g80 g91
    n10 g01 x-24 f100
    n15 y-14
    n20 x24
    n25 y14
    n30 m99

I get error 550 when I try to run the main program.
    When I run it without line # 30 it will run.
    I know it is something probably very simple and obvious, but not to me!!!!!
    Thanks again.

Try this in line 30, call O1002 , if it's a program call
    If it's a sub program, place it after the end m30, make the first line begin with a high line number, like 1000, and call it like this, go Sub n1000 L10

Hi Allen, you had already posted while I was screwing around trying to edit the post you replied to.

Yes I have a manual, how complete it is I do not know, as it is all photo copies of the pages.
    I understand what you are telling me and they are all good bits of information, thank you.
    To clarify my position, I am trying to learn this on my own, I did take a night school, cnc programming course that involved G code. But that was many years ago and way before I even had a machine to try anything on and some health issues along the way has added to the situation.
    I numbered each line to help make it easier to read.
    I have spent many a night on this Forum going through the archives trying to learn as I go.
    In the manual that I have, it showed how to set up a sub program and I thought that I had followed the instructions fairly well. I can see now that my reading skills and comprehension of what I have read, need lots of work.

Earlier on when I was learning to run this VMC I looked at some U Tube videos and some where ones that you had produced.
    But now my computer is on it's last legs and that is no longer possible.
    I need to know what you are using for a computer and the floppy disc situation, but those will have to be questions for another time I guess.

I sure would like to understand this sub program deal though!!! It did look easy in the manual. LOL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by allen mullis View Post
    Try this in line 30, call O1002 , if it's a program call
    If it's a sub program, place it after the end m30, make the first line begin with a high line number, like 1000, and call it like this, go Sub n1000 L10
    Thanks for trying to help Allen. I was writing a reply to your previous post when I saw that you had already got back to me again.
    I am so damn slow on this computer stuff and it is very frustrating.
    It is getting late here now and tomorrow my van has to be repaired, so it may be a day or so until I can try your suggestions.
    I will report back!

Thanks very much
    Dave

no luck so far for me in trying to get a sub program to run

i am going to start a new thread as this one is getting cluttered up and hard to read, what with all my mistakes and then trying to edit those mistakes.
    I started this thread and I can barely understand what it is I am attempting to do.

Eliminate the space between the O and the program number.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirby View Post
    Allen, you are so right about warming up the table and how stupid that probably sounds to everyone and that is my fault by not explaining myself very well.
    Hopefully I will get my point across better this time.

I have been attempting to teach myself how to program my machine and earlier this year, with the help of BrianL, I was able to run a program with success and this attempt to use a sub program in a warm up procedure is an attempt to learn more about programming.
    The warm up program was to include X , Y and Z axis movements along with running in the spindle at various RPM's but right off the start I ran into a fault code and I don't understand why.

When going through the manual they said one of the good applications of a sub program was a warm up procedure, so this was my attempt.
    I wrote a little program and ran the the 3 lines.
    I then wrote the same program with the same 3 lines and called it a sub program and tried to run it but there has not been any success.

Here is what I did.

This is the main program This is the sub program.

PO 1000 PO 1002

n5 g0 g17 g20 g40 g50 g69 g80 g91 n5 g0 g17 g20 g40 g50 g69 g80 g91
    n10 g01 x-24 f100 n10 g01 x-24 f1oo
    n15 y-14 n15 y-14
    n20 x24 n20 x24
    n25 y14 n25 y14
    n30 m98 PO 1002 L2 n30 m99
    n35 m30

When I run the main program it gets to line # 30 and gives me Error 550, which says it is a bad numeric format.

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks
    Dave

I just re read it, do CALL O#### and that's it. Too simple. You're over complicating it
    Eliminate the space between the O and the program number.

I just re read it, do CALL O#### and that's it. Too simple. You're over complicating it
    Good evening Allen, yep you are probably right on about me over complicating this thing but I just am not seeing HOW.
    In the M CODE section of my manual on page 4-14 there is a section on Subprogram execution and it states that a subprogram is executed by the main program or another subprogram............ To me that sounded pretty simple, and that was how I started.

So I wrote a real simple 4 line main program..... which was this.
    PO1000
    N5 G01 etc etc
    N10 GO1 X -24 F100
    N15 Y-14
    N20 X24
    N25 Y14
    N30 M98 PO1002 L2
    N35 M30

I then wrote the same lines of code and made it a subprogram....... Just like this.

PO1002
    N5 G01 etc etc
    N10 G01 X-24 F100
    N15 Y-14
    N20 X24
    N25 Y14
    N30 M99

So to me this seemed very simple. I run the main program and when it gets to line 30 it calls up the subprogram and loops it 2 times.
    At least to me that is how I read it from the manual, but when I hit RUN for the program it gives me ERROR 550....... BAD NUMERIC FORMAT
    When I take out line 30 of course it will run the previous lines of code.

I did try various ways to change it... so many in fact I can't remember all the different directions I went.
    I did try your suggestion of placing the sub call after the M30 line with no luck.

Where exactly do you figure that I messed this simple deal up?
    I am sorry but I don't understand this part where you said to Call O#### and that's it.
    Maybe you could help me out here with a detailed explanation, if you have some time.

Thanks, Dave

First off, you have PO1000, it's supposed to be O1000 at the beginning of the program. Also, your sub call is M98 PO1002 and it should be M98 P1002. Also, does your machine have 48" of X travel? Or are you programming in incremental?

Hey Brian, thanks for joining in.

All the moves were incremental and the program would run fine without Line 30 which is where the sub is called.
    I was going to add some spindle ON and Z axis moves later but was just doing these few lines to see if things would work.
    Was hoping to make a little warm up program and at the same time to see if I could make a sub program work.

I do think that I tried to run this without the O's and also without the P's but I will double check that... I do remember though that it does ask for a P to show in the line if it is left out.

I had to plow out some snow this AM. Came in for lunch and read your thoughts on the matter. Later today I will check to see exactly what I programmed in this time and I will get back to you.

Thanks, Dave

AHHH!!!! Success at last!!!!!

Brian, you were right about the O after the P. Removed it from the line, and the program ran just like it should have.

Now about 4 days later, and after much frustration I can move on.
    That took me about 30 seconds to edit the O out of the program but many hours of work to get there and I would still be chasing my tail if not for you BrianL and Allen Mullis too.
    Thanks so much the two of you!!!

Dave

On my machine I don't use O numbers in the program, just when I save the program to the machine. I would save your sub as program number 1002, then the program I would save as 1000 would be like this:

M03 S2000
    M98 P1002 L5
    M30

1002 would look like this:

N5 G01 etc etc
    N10 G01 X-24 Z-5 F100
    N15 Y-14 Z5
    N20 X24 Z-5
    N25 Y14 Z5
    N30 M99

That's it, it would start the spindle, make your rectangular moves (I added some Z moves) with the spindle running 5 times. Which would warm up the spindle and lube all the ways and ball screws.

Well Brian that's just too funny. I went back out and rewrote the program before I read your reply.
    Not guite the same but very very close.
    I added in some Z moves and fired up the spindle at the same time too.
    Now I have a warmup program and I basically know how to add a subprogram. Thanks.

And to Allen I must say that I am sorry. After reading again what you wrote last night, you had already picked up on the fact that I was adding the O in the sub call line. I was just too clueless to comprehend what you were trying to tell me.
    I guess I will just move on from here and see what other damage I can inflict on to myself.

Thanks again, I really appreciate everybody's help,
    Dave