Hi!
Right now I have two machines: a small router and a bit larger laser engraver. Both are DIY for most components. The first is controlled by a USBCNC CPU5A4E and the second by an Arduino with GRBL firmware and a driver shield.
For the first machine I also have a HUGE cabinet with large drivers, power supplies and any possible connection... this is my "definitive" cabinet for any CNC in my life :-)

However, both machines are too small for my needs and I really don't want two machines. I'm going to buy a larger one.
Usually I need to laser engraving and milling the same stock, so it's not an option to continue with different setups.
Unfortunately the USBCNC controller (that I like very much by the way) doesn't support the GRBL "laser mode" (G1 stops on every S changes).

Hence I'm looking for a mid-high level controller with (at least) the following features:

• 4 axis
  • standard step/dir/enable output
  • inputs for limit switches, probe, and aux pins (emergency stop, pause, run, etc...)
  • outputs for standard tools (spindle, coolant, mist) and some spare GPIO programmable from g-code (i.e. to turn on a relay)
  • PWM output for laser modulation bound to S value (not only on-off, I mean true PWM 0..100% duty cycle)
  • laser mode (G1 doesn't stop on S changes), and possibly ramp compensation (M3/M4 modes in GRBL)
  • inputs for pendant
  • better if works with Linux
  • nice to have, but not mandatory: scripting language to create macro and sdk to load/create plugins or customizing UI

The ideal budget should be less than 500$, anyway I could revise it if it's worth to. I'm going to select the definitive controller for my life!

Thank you for any suggestion.