584,871 active members*
5,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Automatic Tool Probe

Hello,

I am having problems with the Automatic Tool Probe on a 2016 DS-30Y, and I'm hoping that someone can help.
    The problems are with the two automated cycles: G212 automatic setting, and break detect. When I run in Break Detect or Automatic modes, after having probed the tools manually, the tools touch off near the very corner of the probe stylus, not the centers of each side. The probe has been calibrated, and both O.D. and I.D. offsets are spot-on, as are the positive and negative Z.
    On two-point measurements (H1-4), the tool will touch off roughly 1/8" from the edge and it will actually be off the edge for single-point measurement (H5-8). Because of this, I have to make strange offsets: in order to run G212 with a drill, which probes in the H7 direction, I have to shift the geometry -0.375", then compensate by adding 0.375" to the wear. I have to do the same thing with a Z-shift for an O.D. threading tool, so that I can probe it in H8 without the tip being off the stylus.
    A larger problem is that the machine is currently incapable of probing reverse-facing drills, because during the cycle, using H5, the Z clearance move travels to roughly 1.75" short of the tool tip, so that the X-position move crashes the holder into the probe. I've tried with multiple drill lengths, same results. Probing manually is fine, all of my issues are during the cycles. I'm hoping that there is some way to change the travel-distance for these cycles, so that the clearance moves bring tools to the center of each side of the probe, and the clearance for reverse-tooling is correct. I've looked through the settings, and the protected macros, but haven't found anything. I've contacted HAAS twice, but have yet to hear back.

Re: Automatic Tool Probe

I've noticed the same issue but I don't have a solution myself. Those lathe probing macros are internal to the machine (so far as I can tell) so editing them, or let alone even viewing them, seems to not be possible. I wish it were more like the Renishaw programs from the mill probing set, where you can literally make any changes you want, but it's more limited on the lathes....ugggh