584,798 active members*
4,151 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc Oi-TF vs. 31I-B block processing time / speed Is Oi-TF really this slow?

Fanuc Oi-TF vs. 31I-B block processing time / speed Is Oi-TF really this slow?

I was looking at a new SY turning center and found that it now was sold with an OI-TF where older models were sold with 31I-A controls. I began to try to understand the difference between the controls and found information implying that 31I-B controls can process blocks of code at a speed of 1 line per 0.4ms or possibly as fast as 1 line per 0.2ms. That means at 0.4ms 12000 lines of code would take 0.8 minutes to be read.

The OI-F control information I was able to find on my phone somewhere I no longer can find, implied 4.0ms per line. AKA 12,000 lines of code would take 8 minutes to be read.

This suggested dynamic milling strategies for roughing would be out the window (Useless) with the OI-T control. We have a 12,000 line milling operation in one of our 31I-B machines on the floor running 1minute 35 second run time. That operation is providing very efficient material removal and very long tool life, so these are basically strategies which obviously make us money.

Does anyone know the answer here? This is a package 1 OI-TF Fanuc control. We are wondering if the machine has training wheels in this situation, for lack of the correct type control to give it full capabilities.

Re: Fanuc Oi-TF vs. 31I-B block processing time / speed Is Oi-TF really this slow?

I think you math is off, but I don't see Fanuc trailing the pack somehow, after being on top with world wide CNC sales for so long.
    A quick call or email to their support site should bring a quick response.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: Fanuc Oi-TF vs. 31I-B block processing time / speed Is Oi-TF really this slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I think you math is off, but I don't see Fanuc trailing the pack somehow, after being on top with world wide CNC sales for so long.
    A quick call or email to their support site should bring a quick response.
    Al.
    I called the machine builder, and Fanuc. Numerous people were unable to answer the question.

The math is symple, if 4ms (4 hundredths of a second) is multiplied 12,000 times, then divided by 60 to get minutes, that's 8 minutes. If 0.4ms (4 thousandths of a second) for the 31i is multiplied by 12,000 and divided by 60, it derrives 0.8 minutes.

It seemed that for thousands of dollars, an AICC upgrade could bring the Oi-F to 2MS block processing time. That's still 5 times slower than the 31i, and 4 minutes to run 1 minute and 35 seconds worth of 31I code is very slow.

People were saying, a turning machine doesn't need to read code fast, but these are turning machines that do milling operations, and those milling operations can be optimized by programming tools that output thousands of lines of code to do roughing strategies that optimize tool life and material removal.

The math is simple, if 4ms (4 hundredths of a second)

Isn't 4ms = 4 thousandths of a second.
    Tim

Well, we have quite a few 0id's on mills, and they have absolutely no problem 3d surfacing at 12krpm on 30 to 40mb programs. Think your worrying about nothing. The control is still faster than the iron.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I think you are asking the wrong question. If you wish to purchase from the machine tool builder, then ask for a turnkey. This is where they "prove" by cutting your part on their machine before you buy it. I would never buy a machine that I had doubts about making my part without the seller actually cutting the same parts that I need it to cut on that machine.

in my humble opinion

According to the machine dealer the block processing time of the Oi-TF is 8ms, which is 20 times slower than the 31i, and implies the Oi-F control can process a maximum of 125 lines of code per second. I called Fanuc to see if the 200 block look ahead option will change that number. I saw on some documentation somewhere that the 400 block look ahead or the 200 (I can't remember which) is capable of reducing block processing time to 2ms, which would be 1/5th the speed of the 31i control. I would consider 2ms to be a capable control. 8ms is basically an obsolete control being sold currently. Okuma is a 0.3ms control, Siemens a 0.3ms control, Hurco has 600 block look ahead. Fanuc has 8ms and 20 blocks.

The new okuma control is pretty nice. Even comes standard with an anti chatter function on the lathes. Wouldn't touch hurco or Siemens on purpose.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Green0 View Post
    According to the machine dealer the block processing time of the Oi-TF is 8ms, which is 20 times slower than the 31i, and implies the Oi-F control can process a maximum of 125 lines of code per second. I called Fanuc to see if the 200 block look ahead option will change that number. I saw on some documentation somewhere that the 400 block look ahead or the 200 (I can't remember which) is capable of reducing block processing time to 2ms, which would be 1/5th the speed of the 31i control. I would consider 2ms to be a capable control. 8ms is basically an obsolete control being sold currently. Okuma is a 0.3ms control, Siemens a 0.3ms control, Hurco has 600 block look ahead. Fanuc has 8ms and 20 blocks.
    I was unable to confirm there was any way to improve the 8ms block speed of the Oi-TF. Fanuc wouldn't tell me the specification, apparently it is so non-competitive, they protect that information to reduce the damage to their brand appeal. They sent me a really guarded e-mail that really gave me the impression that the Oi processor is obsolete, and the Oi-TF is a nicely featured obsolete control being sold on new machines. A machine tool builder offered to do a test cut vs our 31i time and they will tell me what the difference in time is in 8800 lines of code on their brand new machine vs our newer 31i machine.

I'll report that here if it contradicts the hypothesis that the Oi will be slow.

Al and Tim are correct. 4 milliseconds is .004 second. .4 milliseconds is .0004 second. Your calculation is off by one decimal place.

Quote Originally Posted by spark-el View Post
    Al and Tim are correct. 4 milliseconds is .004 second. .4 milliseconds is .0004 second. Your calculation is off by one decimal place.
    We were told by the builder that the correct block speed for the OiTF is 8 ms so .008 second. 125 lines of code can be read per second without accounting machine movement time. This is way behind the 31i at .0004ms capable of reading 2500 lines per second without movement time, and the 31i is right there with Siemens, Okuma, and other market control options. NXGEN can process 5000 blocks per second. Mitsubishi is specifying 16,000 and 33,000 blocks per second on its controls. 125 is appearing to be totally obsolete- like maybe 5 or 10 years obsolete.

MITSUBISHI CNC, Complete High-Speed Nano Control