585,758 active members*
4,392 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > smw fixture plate vs pierson pallet sys

smw fixture plate vs pierson pallet sys

Hey guys I am a newbie and I was looking into making a purchase for my 1100 pcnc
    I was wondering what you guys think about saunders fixture plate and mod vises for getting started or going with somthing like the Pierson pallet system.
    I only have money to start with one but eventually want to get both any advice is appreciated.

Re: smw fixture plate vs pierson pallet sys

out of the 2 I'd lean towards the pallet system .
    Personally if I was looking at setting up fixturing I'd get a sheet of mic6 cut up , and get some helicoils , locator pins and bushings from mcmaster . Then make a base plate to bolt down fixtures

I have the Saunders fixture plate on my 770 and like it. I rarely cut the same part twice so I like the versatility of the fixture plate. There are two sizes of fixture plate and got the larger one to mount my 4th axis off to the side and leave more table space.

I have both and am very happy with both. The fixture plate is definitely the way to go getting started. FAR more versatile out of the box with minimal additional parts and accessories. The pallet system is awesome but it's real strength is setting up the same thing over and over which is probably not something you'll be doing a lot as you get started. Also, the pallet system costs you quite a lot of room in Z which means long drills and tall parts aren't going to fit where the fixture plate is quite low profile, as are the mod vises.

I have a tosa tool 12x34 4140 modular plate for sale. Along with their modular angle plate, 4th axis and tail stock plates and a whole slew of fixturing pins. Pm me if interested