Hi, relatively new to CNC, had a little experience over years that has gotten me this far.
Our company just purchased our first machine, A Maximart 850 with Meldas 520AMR controls. The issue I am having is this:

I can set my tool offsets but in order for program to work(machine in correct Z position) they must be offset to the work piece. EG. I set work piece Z 0 using T1, T2 must then have an offset of the difference between T1 and T2. I have the tlml(parameter) set to the distance between reference 0 and the table and I had set the surface to 4"(using a 4" block) but this doesn't seem to matter, the machine doesn't seem to calculate anything, so I calculate tlm(26.5 inches) minus 4"(gauge block)minus Z distance traveled to touch point. Guess to sum it up ... how do I set my work piece Z 0 to think it is coming off the table like I set my tools so my tool offsets are valid.

For now I can set all my tool offsets according to the top of the piece, but someday I will be screwed when a cutter breaks and I have to set new offset off something that doesn't exist anymore, I am sure. This also means I will have to set up new offsets for every tool for every part every time.