584,842 active members*
4,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Are Chinese servos a gamble? Servos vs Leadshine closed loop
Page 1 of 2 12

Are Chinese servos a gamble? Servos vs Leadshine closed loop

I have read only reviews on Chinese servos 'looking well built' and I want to know if they have a good performance record with anyone.
    I want to know this because for my machine with 400w / 750w drives they are the same price as Leadshine hybrids. I think others face this choice.
    So I am looking at choosing between proven name brand and Chinese servos.

I read a thread before on the same topic but it devolved into a political / global economic thread.

Example servo, $350
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...760394727.html

Example Leadshine easy servo $300
    https://tinyurl.com/yc5mfbbr

Also as sizes go up servos can be cheaper.
    As to if 'Leadshine is actually leadshine' you can verify this through them if seller is an authorised distributer.

Thanks for answers I ask a lot of questions but I think I am close to finally ordering my parts!

Re: Are Chinese servos a gamble? Servos vs Leadshine closed loop

Steppers
    Pro
    Very simple electronics
    Con
    Very limited power
    Quite limited torque at high speed
    If they lose a step, that's it, and you may not be told about it unless your controller is quite expensive)

Servos
    Pro
    Much bigger range of power available (as much as you want)
    Much higher speeds available with torque
    If they fault (position error too big) they tell you
    Con
    Slightly more complex electronics and mechanics (ie encoder)
    Higher cost typically
    Controller needs tuning

As for brands - generally, You Get What You Pay For.
    I use Gecko+servo, and cannot comment on other combos.

Cheers
    Roger

I've heard that those chinese servo's work well, if you know how to set them up. I've heard that documentation is severely lacking.
    I opted for DMM servos, as the price is only slightly higher, and they have better documentation and support. They would probably be much more expensive in Australia.

Comparing an AC Servo to the Leadshine "Easy Servos" is comparing apples and oranges. The AC servos are much more powerful. The Easy Servos are still stepper motors, with a torque curve that drops off as rpm's increase. AC servos have a flat torque curve, up to 3000 RPM
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The dmm tech 400w servo and a dyn2 drive come in at around $285, thats around the same price as the chinese servo systems. I would tend to trust a brand that provides warranty and documentation on their products as opposed to a FOB china product with little or no support. If you fry one of those chinese drives you are on your own, I have read of DMM being able to repair or providing at cost replacements.

I was just looking at those chinese drives/servos for a retrofit im planning and I honestly see no cost benefit for them as opposed to DMM Tech products. The shipping from china typically makes them about the same price, at which point I lean heavily twords DMM.

The dmm tech 400w servo and a dyn2 drive come in at around $285,
    You need a DC power supply for those, so expect to pay about $60-$75 per motor for that. The 200V motors with Dyn4 are about $100 more, but don't require the power supply.
    And don't forget cables, which can add another $50-$100 per motor.
    DMM sells a complete kit of 3 400w/Dyn2 for about $1450, which is a lot more than $285 per axis.

I agree about the chinese pricing though. The shipping brings them right up to DMM's pricing. What the DMM's have going for them, is that they are about $150-$250 cheaper than anything else not made in China.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You need a DC power supply for those, so expect to pay about $60-$75 per motor for that. The 200V motors with Dyn4 are about $100 more, but don't require the power supply.
    And don't forget cables, which can add another $50-$100 per motor.
    DMM sells a complete kit of 3 400w/Dyn2 for about $1450, which is a lot more than $285 per axis.

I agree about the chinese pricing though. The shipping brings them right up to DMM's pricing. What the DMM's have going for them, is that they are about $150-$250 cheaper than anything else not made in China.
    Thanks for the info! Yes, you are correct, multiply the price by 1.33 (Aud to USD currently) then add more for shipping for DMM (for us Aussies). So prices are less for Chinese.

The Chinese servos come with cables too which to me is an advantage. Do they also require a power supply or not? I am yet to investigate the wiring setup required. I think I could work out setting them up with help from electronic engineer friends and some (lots) of reading.

If you fry one of those chinese drives you are on your own,
    Contrast this with the guarantee from Gecko on their latest drives: you fry it, we fix it, for free.
    In fact their Viper Drive, the 203V, survived an open challenge a year or two ago.
    Good support (from any company) is $$$ in hand.

Cheers
    Roger
    (I am quoting Gecko because I use them; I have no connection to them.)

ericks Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3dprints View Post
    I have read only reviews on Chinese servos 'looking well built' and I want to know if they have a good performance record with anyone.
    I want to know this because for my machine with 400w / 750w drives they are the same price as Leadshine hybrids. I think others face this choice.
    So I am looking at choosing between proven name brand and Chinese servos.

I read a thread before on the same topic but it devolved into a political / global economic thread.

Example servo, $350
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...760394727.html

Example Leadshine easy servo $300
    https://tinyurl.com/yc5mfbbr

Also as sizes go up servos can be cheaper.
    As to if 'Leadshine is actually leadshine' you can verify this through them if seller is an authorised distributer.

Thanks for answers I ask a lot of questions but I think I am close to finally ordering my parts!
    I have Leadshine stepper drives, been using them for a few years.... Never ever had any issues with them. So i expect their servo stuff to be good too.

Thanks for the info! Yes, you are correct, multiply the price by 1.33 (Aud to USD currently) then add more for shipping for DMM (for us Aussies). So prices are less for Chinese.

The Chinese servos come with cables too which to me is an advantage. Do they also require a power supply or not? I am yet to investigate the wiring setup required. I think I could work out setting them up with help from electronic engineer friends and some (lots) of reading.
    Don't go by the price, go by what you are getting, compare the packages, you won't find any in this price range, that will equal the Dmm system, just there encoder advantage, makes them superior to any one else
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Don't go by the price, go by what you are getting, compare the packages, you won't find any in this price range, that will equal the Dmm system, just there encoder advantage, makes them superior to any one else
    The 3 axis DMM kit you guys (US or near) get for $1441 I pay around $2200 AUS for after shipping. There would be additional import costs, unless you broke up the shipping. I think DMM could also work with AUS people on this, they seem like good people.
    The chinese servos however I can obtain for around $1100 AUS (that's 3 axis) which I believe offer just as many features as DMM and can be run on high voltage AC. I think they might even have additional features.

I think Mactec is referring to the DMM tech encoders 16bit (65,536 ppr) vs the 2500 ppr chinese product.

However if it really is almost twice as expensive, I guess you have to evaluate what tech support, documentation and a industrial encoder are worth.

The 3 axis DMM kit you guys (US or near) get for $1441 I pay around $2200 AUS for after shipping. There would be additional import costs, unless you broke up the shipping. I think DMM could also work with AUS people on this, they seem like good people.
    The chinese servos however I can obtain for around $1100 AUS (that's 3 axis) which I believe offer just as many features as DMM and can be run on high voltage AC. I think they might even have additional features.
    The cheaper Chinese servo's don't even come close as far as features go, it's what you can afford to buy, and what you will be happy with, if a stepper was a thought, then any servo system would work for you and you would be happy with it
    Mactec54

For the servos that can take 230v or 240v AC, do I need any other special voltage / current regulators between my wall supply (240v AC in Aus) and the servos? Some sort of protection, or do I just need to wire them in parallel and install switches / fuses or something?

I will have an expert electronic engineer helping me out after purchase to wire it up, just trying to evaluate costing at the moment on top of the servo drive cost per axis. Thank you.

e.g. for most steppers obviously you need DC power supplies

IF the boxes meet Australian supply regulations - IF, then all you should need is a simple mains filter between the wall and the boxes.
    One filter for the whole system would be enough.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    IF the boxes meet Australian supply regulations - IF, then all you should need is a simple mains filter between the wall and the boxes.
    One filter for the whole system would be enough.

Cheers
    Roger
    Thanks, and if they need something to dampen our power spikes? I believe depending on the area you're in here you can vary up to 250v or something (I'll have to check). If that's the case, and they only appreciate up to 245... ? Is it an expensive device required?

Yeah, you REALLY need to check that.
    The problem is that a lot of such gear is primarily aimed at the USA market, and so caters to 110/220 VAC. Pushing up to 240 VAC is usually OK, but here in Oz we do get higher surges at times. A lot of that 110/220 VAC gear can't handle that.

I once had an entire jellied-lead battery backup system (many $k) go up in flames for exactly that reason. The batteries melted down after the switching transistors shorted out. Eventually we took to not switching the power on until after 9 am and switching it off before 5 pm - to avoid the mains surges which were happening when local industry powered up and down. The surges AND spikes were incredible, and Elcom were not helpful.

Cheers
    Roger
    Sydney

Thanks, and if they need something to dampen our power spikes? I believe depending on the area you're in here you can vary up to 250v or something (I'll have to check). If that's the case, and they only appreciate up to 245... ? Is it an expensive device required?

It may be worth talking to DMM and seeing what they recommend. They have been very helpful the last couple times I called about their Servo/drives.

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Yeah, you REALLY need to check that.
    The problem is that a lot of such gear is primarily aimed at the USA market, and so caters to 110/220 VAC. Pushing up to 240 VAC is usually OK, but here in Oz we do get higher surges at times. A lot of that 110/220 VAC gear can't handle that.

I once had an entire jellied-lead battery backup system (many $k) go up in flames for exactly that reason. The batteries melted down after the switching transistors shorted out. Eventually we took to not switching the power on until after 9 am and switching it off before 5 pm - to avoid the mains surges which were happening when local industry powered up and down. The surges AND spikes were incredible, and Elcom were not helpful.

Cheers
    Roger
    Sydney
    The voltage in the USA is 120/240v for single phase
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by WesM View Post
    It may be worth talking to DMM and seeing what they recommend. They have been very helpful the last couple times I called about their Servo/drives.
    If you did go with the Dmm system and use there high voltage Servo Drives, you would have to use a line reactor, or a Transformer so you can stabilize your line voltage, or you would kill the servo Drives with the over voltage that you are experiencing, this would be a must to get under control for any system you use
    Mactec54

The voltage in the USA is 120/240v for single phase
    Chuckle.
    I have seen 110VAC, 115 VAC, 120 VAC quoted for America, and even 220 VAC and 240 VAC in some places. It is also the only country in the world (afaik) to offer 'high leg delta' as a 3-phase supply in some parts of the country (a crudity of the most obnoxious variety).

But then, I have seen 230 VAC, 240 VAC and even 245 VAC quoted for the Australian grid. I am led to believe that the 'authorities' are trying to normalise all of Australia to 230 VAC, but that is going to take a long long time. Meanwhile, we over-spec our motors to be on the safe side.

At one stage we were running on 245 VAC for most of the day, but it dropped to <220 VAC around dinner time when several houses up the road started cooking. Yeah, rural/farming area. Then someone else started to (try to) pull >60 A off a single phase, and essentially blew the local transformer. Well, the up-side of that was that we got a new and bigger pole transformer AND new aerials up the road. But the voltage still fluctuates.

Trust nobody.

Cheers
    Roger

Page 1 of 2 12